Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother and I are heading out for our annual fishing/hiking weekend next weekend--does anyone have a trip to recommend? One that involves some backpacking along a river or to a lake....and of course, plenty of good trout fishing?? We are open to anything in Washington.

Thanks,

·
Registered
514 Posts
I don't have any specific river/lake suggestions, but if it were me doing the same thing (and I will be next month), I'd head to the Olympic Peninsula area. There's a lot to choose from there for your hiking and your fishing needs.
easygoer

·
Registered
327 Posts
Tightloops, and anyone else around...
To help eliminate confusion...unless there's been a new lake added to the topography, it's Big Greider as the previous poster noted. It's got goldens as well as rainbows and cutts. Upper Granite is quite a ways away and does not have goldens. Another lake not too far from there which I like better than the Greiders is Boulder. Very similar but I feel slightly more scenic. I've never fished it but was there a few years ago and saw lots of fish rising despite the hiking book I had which said the lake was barren.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

That was one of the lakes that they planted Grayling in a few years back. But of course you are all to young to remember anything like that. I have never tried to get there as anything uphill is not my bag. Old legs,old knees,old body,and nothing ever seems to work good anymore. As my handle imply's old man.

Jim

·
Registered
130 Posts
Manastash Lake, Hope spelling is correct same as ridge.

Took my horses into Manastash lake yesterday and today, caught 30 plus a day brook trout. Not big but lots of 10-12 inch cooky cutters.

Flash back nymph, blood worm, and prince on sink tip. Tried dry and full sind but sind tip was the ticket

Pretty little lake and a real nice camping spot.

i went up milk creek and parked at end of road. ride in was about 4 miles or so. Be careful not to miss lake sign, it is on south side of a tree.

Take road 686 to 944 at that juction look for sign and turn east on an unmarked road. that will take you on the east side of the ridge and down to lake (two miles from sign). If you have a jeep you might be able to drive most of the way. The trail down to lake is horse of foot only, about 3/4 mile down steep grade. Switch back makes it not bad, especially if your on a horse. Ha. I guess I do get some use for all that hay.

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
You might try hiking around the South Fork Hoh and the campground there. Also the upper Queets should be accessible now. Some of the Pacific Coastal streams in Olympic national park are good to fish now too. And you can camp along the coastline. You need a wilderness access permit from the Olympic Park Wilderness Information Center in Port Angeles.
The Elwha looks a little high right now, but by the end of july it might be getting in good shape. Reservations required in some camps there.

·
Veni, Vidi, Fishi
86 Posts
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

That was one of the lakes that they planted Grayling in a few years back. But of course you are all to young to remember anything like that. I have never tried to get there as anything uphill is not my bag. Old legs,old knees,old body,and nothing ever seems to work good anymore. As my handle imply's old man.

Jim
I fished Upper Granite about 10 years back, the hike in isn't bad as 7/8ths of it is up an abandoned logging road, I have talked to a few folks that have taken some Trail 90's up to the part where the bushwhack begins. Its about a mile bushwhack to the outlet and another 3/4 mile to the upper end where there are some nice campsites. I took a little nylon life raft up there and got pushed around a bit from the wind, but I did catch some nice grayling up there, very pretty fish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.