Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my despration yesterday, I started to throw a size 4 Zonker into a deep pool. I ended up catching a bizzare fish instead of the lunker rainbows I expected. It looked like a large whitefish, but it had a huge mouth. Any ideas?

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
To much political correctness going on here. I prefer to call it as it was,squawfish. It was first as squawfish and as far as I'm concerned it is still as squawfish. Besides how can you all tell what it is with out a picture.

I caught a fish that I thought was a large whitefish out of the S/F Stilly once. But it was about 5lbs had the sucker mouth,but there didn't appear to have any scales. Smooth skin It was tan in color. So without a picture can you tell me what I caught.And it came in like a log. Didn't even wiggle.

Jim

·
Registered
359 Posts
Just for the record, "squaw" is a Frenchicized version of an Algonquin word for "c-nt." I don't know if the fish care, but I can see how American Indian women probably wouldn't like being called "squaw," considering the formation of the word.

·
1,257 Posts
Old man said:
To much political correctness going on here. I prefer to call it as it was,squawfish. It was first as squawfish and as far as I'm concerned it is still as squawfish. Besides how can you all tell what it is with out a picture.

I caught a fish that I thought was a large whitefish out of the S/F Stilly once. But it was about 5lbs had the sucker mouth,but there didn't appear to have any scales. Smooth skin It was tan in color. So without a picture can you tell me what I caught.And it came in like a log. Didn't even wiggle.

Jim
#5 tan scaled log. You're just lucky it didn't make it into the current.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Yes you caught a white fish with Anglie Jolie's lips.....Sh*t happens....Humans are known to have above average appendages why can't fish....Hey I see you have a larger fin then rest of the guys!!!

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Jim's log

"If you're crashing down the cliff in your car and you notice that the knobs are coming off your radio, you can probably say that things are not going well for you."

You had a log, Jim. Probably an alder but it could have been a birch. You say there are no birch trees out here? Well think again. Fishermen from the east often bring them out here and toss them in the water just to screw us up.

Don't get taken in, Jim. Just release the log and pretend you are not boiling- ass mad. When you go east, take a few Madrona logs to get even.

Bob, the Man, don't ya just hate those East Coast Dudes? :mad:

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
Randy,the fish I caught looked something like that but it didn't even cause a struggle. Came straight in and it sure was ugly. I caught it about 20 years ago out of the S/F Stilly out of a deep pool and on worms. It was under the old bridge on hiway 530 out of Arlington.

And glad to have you back BOB.

Jim

·
Rob Novak
28 Posts
the fish

My father in law lives along Flathead Lake, while walking along one of the docks near down town Polson he came upon two Native american children who were fishing. When he had asked them what they had caught, there reply was just some squaw fish. My feelings on this subject is it was probably some person in congress who is not even native american who came up with pikeminnow, what a joke.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Put your fingers in your ears when "they" say it...

7FLY said:
...two Native american children who were fishing. When he had asked them what they had caught, there reply was just some squaw fish.
Maybe it was their way of saying the pikeminnow were "junk" fish, except they were talking real dirty to your old man. :clown:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.