Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Tight line takes ain't no fakes!!
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a scandi line I think I got it figured out. Written on the spool only in microscopic print it says 11.3 meters and 29 g so 37 ft and 447 grains approx. Definitely not a 9-10 as they list it. A lot of confusing info on this box. They may be great lines but trying to decipher all the BS on this box is driving me to drink. We Americans need length of line and grain weight on the box.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Let see, the box states 11,3 meters, which will be the lenght.
It also states 29 gram, which is the weight.
Gram and meters are used all over world as the standard, even in todays science in the U.S.A.
So don't blame the rest of the world, just change to the decimal system.

Also 29 gram is certainly a 9/10 in Europe, most of the ratings in the US are 2 off.

·
Tropical member
2,318 Posts
It's a scandi line I think I got it figured out. Written on the spool only in microscopic print it says 11.3 meters and 29 g so 37 ft and 447 grains approx. Definitely not a 9-10 as they list it. A lot of confusing info on this box. .
Hey thewaker.

I was wondering what rod you are going to use with this line?

In my personal experience, 447 grain in Scandi head is suitable for 9/10 fast action rod. I have a opti 9 weight and be honest with you I quite enjoy cast the scandi head down to the 420 grain (34ft), long leader, short stroke and crispy feel (small fly of course)... you might want to try to match it with one of those fast european rod... just a thought...

Mark

·
Registered
18 Posts
When venturing in twohanded rods, forget about line ratings.
Just go with the recommended weight specified for that rod.
For an example between myself and two friends we have 4 rods which will throw the same weight, but look at the ratings:

ACR 11'9" #3
Decho 12'2" #5
Snowbee 12' #6/7
Scierra 11'8" #8

·
Tight line takes ain't no fakes!!
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yuhina,
A Deer Creek 7130.In comparison to the AFS 7-8 which is 460gr and casts great on that rod, the loop would be a bit lighter but in the ballpark it seems.

Dutch, I agree about the whole line rating thing.The DC and many other rods are starting to put a grain window right on the rod..... a great idea.

·
Tropical member
2,318 Posts
Yuhina,
A Deer Creek 7130.In comparison to the AFS 7-8 which is 460gr and casts great on that rod, the loop would be a bit lighter but in the ballpark it seems.
Cool, sounds like a good rod. Got to try it myself in the future...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yuhina,

Dutch, I agree about the whole line rating thing.The DC and many other rods are starting to put a grain window right on the rod..... a great idea.
If the window is not on the rod or web, I go to the Rio or Airflo site and look at the charts for recommended lines.
This will give you in most cases the window.
Kind of a workaround.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.