Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
nymphing beads with a spey pole.
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... wanting to switch from a RIO 550 skagit line to an AIRFLO Compact Skagit. Heres the dilema.... Airflo doesn't offer a 550.
I can go down 10 grains to a 540 gr or go up 20gr to a 570gr. Anybody used both and have an opinion on which ones better? Airflo says their 8/9 lines are in the grain window of 540 to 600. Thanks for the help in advance. OH, Im normally swinging with 10 - 15 ft of T14 on this rod.

I really like how the airflo performs on my 5/6 and want to replicate it on my winter rod.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
If you are close to a dealer they might have compact skagit demo kit with all the lines. That way you can be sure.

·
"junkyard spey"
517 Posts
The 570 would be my choice.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i use a airflo 510 compact skagit on my 7/8 and i can throw all the big flies with t-14 all day long with no probs.

·
nymphing beads with a spey pole.
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pan... is the 540 the one you were running on the OP nymphing the duc when we ran into you? I'll probably go with the 570 cause its for SWINGIN!

Just playin du jus playin Thanks for the info guys.. . I primarily use this rod for Winter fishing... if I need to lighten it up, I'll probably go with the compact scandi.

Thanks again guys... gonna try and find somebody with both to test drive. ANybody know of anyone in and or around Olympia?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts