Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys I'm thinking on picking up a Loop Opti Creek for my favorite rod ( #4 Scott G2 ).

1) What do you think about this reel ?

2) Does it have interchangeable retrieve ?

( I retrieve with my left hand... that's what I need it to perform )

Thanks!

·
Registered
890 Posts
call the guys at Castaway... Joe and Jeff will give you a pretty honest answer... also if you're shopping the closeouts on ebay, I know they can be a couple $$$ cheaper... just bought an Evotec G3 2 days ago... Merry Christmas

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I have the Runner and Speed-Runner on my two switch rods. Very smooth reels with blinding line pick-up and a nice sealed drag. It's easy to switch retrieve sides. No outgoing or incoming click so it's hard to get a feel for the speed of the line going in or out via sound. I like my Opti's for beach and summer steelhead fishing but prefer very simple pawl-spring reels for my light trout rods.

T.

·
Livin down by the river, eating gov'ment cheese...
51 Posts
I have a Loop classic reel (left hand retrieve) on my two hander, and love it. Quality is outstanding. I have not used the models you mention, but if I had to judge the company by the one product I own, I would say that they're top notch.

·
Joe Streamer
4,156 Posts
A good friend of mine who owns a fly shop in another part of the US says that Loop (and Nautilus) reels are the best reels made today, especially for the money.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a friend of mine here in Calgary who is the 'Loop' pro-staffer, who convinced me to try out the Loop products, which was my biggest mistake...I fish only with Loop, for a number of reasons, their rods/reels are up high on the "best list"..bar none!.....AW

·
Registered
404 Posts
Well I don't like it:

It has no clicker, and the frame design has at least 4 spool supports, which I find annoying (I only like reels with two supports, top and bottom). It's way to expensive as well . If I were to pay something like that - I would get an Abel.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was looking at the abel creek, but I may use this setup for Patagonia Spring Creeks ( 2 - 3 kg trout on 4 weight ) ... so an Abel Creek II which has no drag , could become a problem, not really sure on this one, would love to hear opinions.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
All of my reels are Loop now. They are the best reels I've ever owned. I'm not really sure what the dude above is talking about. The reel is smooth as silk and the reel frame is very strong and stable, while being rediculously light. When I can afford one, the speed runner will be my next trout rod reel. The OPTI reels are the best out there IMO. Seriously, call Jeff and Joe at Castaway (loop tackle USA) and they'll give the specific run down. 208-765-3133

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I'll second Panhandle.:thumb:
I have the original Dry Fly, Midge, and a couple of the new Classics. Great sound on the Classics, too.

·
Registered
404 Posts
All of my reels are Loop now. They are the best reels I've ever owned. I'm not really sure what the dude above is talking about. The reel is smooth as silk and the reel frame is very strong and stable, while being rediculously light. When I can afford one, the speed runner will be my next trout rod reel. The OPTI reels are the best out there IMO. Seriously, call Jeff and Joe at Castaway (loop tackle USA) and they'll give the specific run down. 208-765-3133
The dude, which is me, is talking about the number of vertical spool supports on the frame, and the lack of a clicker. Most reels have two (top and bottom). Some reels have more, such as the loop opticreek - which has at least 4 of these supports; which is two too many for my preference. I don't like silent reels either. And the loops cost way too much.

I do like narrow frames, and Abel makes them in that size (3n, for example).

If you are into cosmetics, Ross has come out with a newer momentum called "LT" in several colors - including grey - which would match the Scott blank; the reel looks a little like a galvan torque.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
So what bugs you about the extra supports? Is it just an aesthetic thing? Does the clicker (sound) indicate the quality of the reel? Sounds like you're drawing you opinion on personal preference as opposed to actual quality, which is advice this guy is looking for. All reels over $500.00 are too expensive and not necessary, aside from large species salt water reels. No one needs a reel over $200.00 to catch a trout or steelhead. We spend the money because it’s a luxury an enhances the experience---kinda like driving a Porsche as opposed to a Pinto (both will get you down the road). Saying that it is too expensive is based on what in you opinion. Just curious?

·
Livin down by the river, eating gov'ment cheese...
51 Posts
Gotta go with Panhandle here. I looked at some Ross reels, and the quality is no where near Loop. Abel and Tibor make nice reels, but Loop is every bit as good. When I got mine, I did it on the assumption that I would only be able to afford one reel for steelhead and salmon. Cosmetics and so forth played no part in the decision, although the cosmetics of the Loop Classic (and the sound of the drag) are off the charts.

·
Registered
404 Posts
So what bugs you about the extra supports? Is it just an aesthetic thing? Does the clicker (sound) indicate the quality of the reel? Sounds like you're drawing you opinion on personal preference as opposed to actual quality, which is advice this guy is looking for. All reels over $500.00 are too expensive and not necessary, aside from large species salt water reels. No one needs a reel over $200.00 to catch a trout or steelhead. We spend the money because it's a luxury an enhances the experience---kinda like driving a Porsche as opposed to a Pinto (both will get you down the road). Saying that it is too expensive is based on what in you opinion. Just curious?
OK, I'll bite -

a) clicker - I like to have feedback from the clicker - sort of tells me how fast the fish is running and helps in setting the drag - and frankly, I like the sound;

b) personal preference? yes, it's mine, and I don't like the design features, I don't want it. And I don't think I'm alone here;

c) the vertical supports get in the way of solving occasional tangles in the line and/or leader, and get in the way of finding the end of the leader. And, the forward support can abrade the line, depending on if you hold the line against the rod - as in a one-handed cast. Just a braindead design feature that almost every other reel manufacturer avoids.

d) I say it's too expensive because, as I say above, it has a couple glaring design flaws and is not in the same class (functionally or cosmetically) as other manufacturers mentioned.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.