Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Hot Carl
8,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a second attempt to get in to tying, I'm once again jumping ship. Even though my passion for fishing goes beyond 99% of anything else in my life, tying just hasn't found its place in my heart. I'm just not wired to either enjoy or be good at it. So I'm liquidating all my stuff.

I have more than I'm willing to type out. But I tried to take enough pics to really get an idea of how much there is. I have an assortment of chenilles, dubbing, rabbit strips, marabou, spey marabou, buck tail, squirrel tail, calf tail, pheasant tail, hackles, guinnea, mallard, etc. Also included is a Griffin vice with pedestal, two dr slick scissors, whip finishers, bobbins, bodkin, hooks, cone heads, waddington shanks, and more.

This is going to benefit steelhead fishermen more than anything else. It's very geared toward that type of fly tying.

SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey Jeff,
Your tying looked to me like you could catch fish, which is all that really counts. Even if you're not enjoying tying at the moment, the gear won't go bad stored in a closet with a mothball or two. My stuff sat idle for nearly ten years; when I pulled it out this year, all was in condition so I could start using it.
See you around, Ken.

·
Hot Carl
8,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Jeff,
Your tying looked to me like you could catch fish, which is all that really counts. Even if you're not enjoying tying at the moment, the gear won't go bad stored in a closet with a mothball or two. My stuff sat idle for nearly ten years; when I pulled it out this year, all was in condition so I could start using it.
See you around, Ken.
if this post was directed at me:

this is the second time i've tried to get into tying, at this point, i'm fairly positive it's not something i'm ever going to enjoy. and given that i'm unemployed and back in school full time, i need the money so that i can do a large fly purchase.

for the poster that asked about the tubes: i got them from another forum member. forum member Bitterroot would be the one to ask

·
Just waiting on warmer weather, .......
181 Posts
Not only are the two above replies correct, but there is one more thing that I would like to note.
Maybe, just maybe, you need a push, or even a shove in the right direction.
Maybe you just need to sit down with others that are into tying the flies that would welcome the company of friendship found @ the fly tying table.
I have the same problem as Ken S, only my flytying table has been sitting right in front of me, (opposite this blasted laptop), for about a year & a half.
Or, well, ....maybe I should just shut-up.

·
Love vintage graphite!
1,125 Posts
I know exactly where you're coming from Evan...I am in the exact same boat. I've made about 4 excursions into tying, taken classes, hung out with other tyers, etc. and I just can't sink my teeth into it. I guess some of us are just not cut out to be tyers. I am now a committed NON-TYER and will never make another attempt.
And for Jeff...I can't remember exactly where I bought the thread tubes but I have seen them for sale at Feathercraft.

Lonnie

·
Hot Carl
8,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not only are the two above replies correct, but there is one more thing that I would like to note.
Maybe, just maybe, you need a push, or even a shove in the right direction.
Maybe you just need to sit down with others that are into tying the flies that would welcome the company of friendship found @ the fly tying table.
I have the same problem as Ken S, only my flytying table has been sitting right in front of me, (opposite this blasted laptop), for about a year & a half.
Or, well, ....maybe I should just shut-up.
I've done many a flying get together with fishing buddies. Been shown how to do lots of cool flies. But when it comes down to tying for an upcoming trip, it's just a chore that I dread doing. Some of us, no matter how much we love to fish, just aren't wired to enjoy the art of fly tying.

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
I've done many a flying get together with fishing buddies. Been shown how to do lots of cool flies. But when it comes down to tying for an upcoming trip, it's just a chore that I dread doing. Some of us, no matter how much we love to fish, just aren't wired to enjoy the art of fly tying.
Here, here. I feel the same. I could tie up a few Stimulators and caddis flies, but anything else I just gave up on. I have about the same amount of junk and I was going to give it away. Now maybe I won't.

Now I just buy what I need or have friends tie me up a shit pot of flies.

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
You know, it's like alot of things in fishing. Some guys are superb flycasters. All they care about is the casting. Some guys are all about the tying. And some guys are about the fishing. If I could get all the flies I fish with at shops, there is a good chance I'd buy them myself. LOL. But my joy comes more from teaching then actually doing it anymore. So have alot of my stuff for designing flies, making my flies that aren't production tied for shops, or simply for teaching anymore. But I HATE just sitting and tying for hours. So feel your pain. LOL

·
Hot Carl
8,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You know, it's like alot of things in fishing. Some guys are superb flycasters. All they care about is the casting. Some guys are all about the tying. And some guys are about the fishing.
Exactly. I like fishing. I'm not one that gets too into being a world class caster, nor do I have any desire to tie up cool looking, fancy flies. I just wanna fish.

Sale is pending. Got my first offer for the full lot of stuff from Greenhighlander. Apologies to those who made reasonable offers for splitting off some stuff.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'm with Jerry. If you've put time in and still aren't feeling it, it's probably not too likely that it'll suddenly click for you. I like to tie, but getting stocked up for a trip is a pain in the ass, especially when you're tying intruders that run 30-40 minutes each!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.