Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed down to the Cedar yesterday and luckily my exit was just above all the work they are doing on 405. Parked at Ron Regis and got on the river at 7:00 AM. Met some guys spin fishing that appeared to be doing it the right way (single hook, couldn't tell if it was barbless) who said they had good success catching small trout.

I began the day throwing a parachute fly and immediately got into lots of small trout hammering the fly but not hooking up which developed into a pattern all morning long. I caught 7 fish all in the 6-10 inch range and missed 3 times that many. One fish who looked to be in the teens somewhere rose to the fly but didn't take it and I couldn't get that one to come back up no matter what I tried.

As I was leaving I had a nice little audience of 3 teenagers who would shout lovely advice such as "Almost had that one" in between puffs of their favorite herb.

All in all not a bad day on the Cedar.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Good report. Something you might try next time you raise a lot of trout to a dry but they don't stick. They are rejecting your fly because it is too large. Try the same fly but smaller, either one or two sizes down.

Leland.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice Leland, I will definitely give that a try next time. Not sure I had the same fly in a different size but I don't think they really cared what type of parachute I threw at them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.