Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Check the regs. I know starting August 15, some river sections close (Chewuch, Twisp, Methow).

I have been by the Methow several times this year without fishing it. I used to be a regular but I have bypassed it more and more for other waters more often the past few years.

·
Been around
387 Posts
Don't quote me, but I think that the Methow is only open above upper Burma Rd. It might be lower. Last year a friend of mine had a great day on the Methow and I went to meet him the following weekend and found that he had been fishing way below the open boundary. Make sure you know the regs. I gave him a ticket, payable by beers at Buddy's in Manson.

·
Still fly fishing in the PCW
5,370 Posts
The Methow has not fished as well since the fires and the flash floods that dumped tons of sediment in the river. It will take some time to recover.

Worse that that, it has been hot and the river temps are high. A guide friend measured water temps yesterday in the high 60's to low 70's below Carlton. Down by Burma, it is bound to be even warmer. If you do fish, go really early, quit early (by 2 at the latest) and take water temps to see if you should quit earlier. Consider going up higher in the river where the temps should be a bit cooler.

There is not much in the way of stream fishing in the immediate Chelan area. There are, however, some good lakes so you might consider hitting one of them instead of fishing moving water.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
What about Stehekin? The river back there might fish okay. I think you have to rent a peddle bike to get up to some better fishing, though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.