Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mephitis mephitis. M&M. Skunk.
I had the weekend to go fishing and decided to hit some new spots and new species as part of the trip. With two young boys at home I don't have every weekend to throw line, so I tried to cram as much as possible into 3 days. It ended up as more of a scouting trip than a fishing trip for most of it.
I started on the Columbia for carp. Wow, are they big and abundant... and picky as hell. I found a group of 6 to 8 of them on a rocky bottom; some cruising, some rooting around. I know enough to cast to the ones feeding and plopped a carp candy in front of them that went more or less ignored. They definitely don't like seeing leader in the sun. I'll be using flouro next time. When the wind picked up I couldn't see the fish through the ripples and it was tough to see if there was much interest. I could seeing the small bubbles where they were rooting around, but you really need to see which way they are pointing to know where to put the fly. After about an hour I was switching to a pink Gotcha (the closest thing resembling a carp fly that I have) and the carp either left or were hidden under the ripples on the water. Since this was just a little side trip I decided to move on, remember this spot and return after learning more about these guys.
Next I looked for access to a creek. I found a few spots, but I was reluctant to go bushwacking with the stories of ticks and rattlers. Didn't see either, but saw and felt a bunch of mosquitoes. Enough to take a lot of the fun out of it. The spots I did find had plenty of fish activity with huge splashes that sounded like a lab jumping into the water after a stick. Likely carp and I already had been schooled by their like, but threw line where I could. I think I'll return in the fall and dedicate a whole weekend looking for a nice spot.
Off to the lower Yak to find smallies. Didn't find 'em. Well, none bigger than 4 inches. Those little guys attacked my fly like a pack of pit bulls on a car bumper. At least there were fish liking my fly. After this day of exploring I was ready for familiar grounds, the Yakima River Canyon.
I was tempted to sneak into the pool at Red's after a day in the sun and dust. I would have left a ring around the pool the Tidy Bowl man couldn't clean off. Since, I had friends meeting me early the next morning I rehydrated (with beer) and fell asleep pretty quickly next the river. The caddis on every bush, tree, rock and stump had me hopeful for the next day. At least I knew where fish were likely to be on the Yak and had a clue to what they would be feeding on.
Skunk part three: No big trout of significant size seen until 5:30 when the river exploded in the craziest hatch I've ever seen. We thought the bite was on. It was. For 10 minutes. I had two rods, one for dries, one for nymphing. I switched to dry just in time to put my X Caddis on top of the floating mats of the real thing. Every time I cast my fly it would be caked with shucks and wings and live caddis crawling up the line. It was insane. Big fish were feeding and rolling, flashing their fat silvery sides. We had strikes but no hook ups. The three of us had different setups (dry, subsurface, and deep nymph) but nothing landed.
It was a beautiful picturesque day in the canyon and the hatch was a sight to see. When it exploded there were caddis in my ears, behind my sunglasses and down my shirt. I wish I had taken video of it, but my camera battery died earlier in the day.
The last day was chalked up to scouting as well. On the way back home we hit a few new spots on the upper Yakima where we were told the day earlier had been pretty good as fly ants were on the water and had fish rising. I only had an hour to wade and left with nothing seen or landed, but found nice access that I will visit again when I have more time.
It was a great weekend fishing, scouting and hanging with friends even without a fish in hand.

Good times. Even if my buddy M&M was always by my side.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Nice report, Flyboy....sorry no fish though, just a great weekend to yourself...hard to beat that!

Jc

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it was nice to get out and enjoy the outdoors on a beautiful weekend. I feel refreshed, but also like I have unfinished business. I'll get 'em next time. :thumb:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.