Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Been steelhead fishing once
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined WFF months ago in preparation for moving to WA from ME. After traveling across country in a beater Tacoma and seeing friends along the way, I am here. Everyone has been kind, funny, sarcastic, and helpful. I really appreciate all of the input that all of you put in on Seattle neighborhoods and recommendations on traffic avoidance, etc. That said, my apologies because I won't be in Seattle after all. I managed (God knows how) to score a job with Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) at the Marine Sciences Laboratory (MSL) in Sequim. My wife is artsy-fartsy so we'll be living in Port Townsend. I'm pretty excited to be out on the OP and still close enough for her to see her father regularly in West Seattle. I feel that I really caught a break here. I commute 40 mins to Sequim but not in traffic.

So, I'd be happy to join anyone out here and pay for food, gas, beer, strippers, or whatever strikes your fancy. Just say the word in a month or so when I get settled in.

·
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BB, thanks man.

I'll be working on some research associated with marine renewable energy (tidal, wave, offshore wind) and the environmental monitoring (fish and mammals) that goes along with it.

·
Sculpin Enterprises
3,461 Posts
Welcome and you've landed in a great location. You might want to think about pursuing searun cutts and salmon (when open....) from the beaches around there. And you're not that far from Forks for native steelhead.

Steve

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,855 Posts
You certainly could have end up in worse places then PT.
Enjoy your fishing.
SF

·
Moved to https://pnwflyfish.com
3,286 Posts
You scored big moving to Port Townsand, the ZERO traffic and awesome breakfast is worth it! Not to mention within a short distance from some of the better normal year coho and cutthroat fishing.
You're not kidding about the breakfast!

·
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All,

Thanks a ton for the congrats and warm welcome. It might be a while until I'm settled in enough to fish but I can't wait. I was scouting beaches on 101 on the way down to Morton over the weekend. Wife's family has a cabin down there. Plus the Tilton River is there. It's close and probably worth a cast or two for some small native cutts. Indeed, the breakfasts have been stellar. Is there a particular place you had in mind? I don't want to miss it.

Hey, Cabezon, are you the one from Maine?

Currently living out of a suitcase with AirBnb but once I settle in to my own place I will be fishing fast. I'll shoot out a feeler thread to see if anyone is interested in joining. I'm happy to drive, supply beer, and maybe buy a breakfast.

Talk to y'all soon.

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
Welcome to Wa! PT is definitely not my favorite town, but it's a gorgeous area and plenty of lakes and saltwater to keep a guy busy. If you're a lake guy at all shoot me a pm and I'd be glad to provide provide some local lake intel. I live in Hansville which is basically just across the Hood Canal bridge from you. (It's ridiculously close as the crow flies but about an hour drive). If you're more into moving water you still have plenty of options, most of them will require a bit more of a drive is all.

If you're into saltwater fishing at all, or interested and willing to learn it, you will have a ton of great fishing year round. Plenty of salmon opportunities around you during a normal year, and an hour drive puts you within some fantastic year round sea run cutthroat fishing. That's not even getting into what's possible with a boat. Shoot me a pm sometime if you ever want to do some beach fishing. I'm working down off the coast until fall, but will be fishing several days a week once I return home.

Hope you like it out here. It's an amazing place to live and honestly there are not too many places I know of that I would willing trade locations for.

Best of luck out here. The change involved with moving is pretty cool and exciting but the physical act of moving is one of my least favorite activities ever. Right up there with root canals and kidney stones. Hopefully you're able to settle in without too much head ache and can start to get out and explore this great area

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.