Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any reviews of Mardon Resort on the Potholes. My 7 year old and I have a 2-day pass during spring break next week. Looking to get out of N Bend and head East of the mountains. Is Mardon Resort good for a dad and son to hang out for a couple of days of fishing?

Thanks all.

Bryan

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I was there July last year. I won't take my kids back...not the kind of scene I wanted them exposed to. People were cranking their offensive music on the beach day in and out, (music I love to listen to when my kids aren't around :p), the camp was super crowded, and the fishing was spotty. We did get one walleye in the boat, so I won't complain about the fishing. Just too much of a trailer park scene IMO...a lot of the locals I talked to said the place had gone to the dumps in the past few years. Now without my kids...yeah I'd hang out there all day and fish the flats for carp drunk off my ass.

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
Mardon kind of creeps me out, not a place I would want to stay. But if you are self contained at all nearby Soda Lake has a campground that I often use. It has few amenities but does have covered picnic tables and the sites are not all squeezed together.

Lots of good fishing nearby.

Ive

·
Love da little fishies
1,678 Posts
I took my neighbor boy to Mar Don 5 or 6 years ago during Memorial Day and we had a good time. The staff at the store shared some great tips on where and how to bait fish for warm water species in the seeps lakes below the dam. We caught a stringer of small pumkinseed on what I think were maggots that we purchased at the store under the bobber and hooks they recommended.

The Mar Dawn campground was crowded, not much room between campsites but our neighbors had kids, were friendly and even shared pleasant time around the fire at night.

We have found that any place in central wa that is a campground on a lake allowing bait fishing and jet skis can tend to have drunk, loud white trash but gosh darnnit if you are friendly and interested in the white trash the majority of them are friendly back.

Last year I took my 8 yr old son and 11 yr old neighbor boy to Blue Lake campground for memorial day. We had a blast. The campground staff and store was great. The trout fishing was good (due to buying bait and following directions of the camp store lady) and our neighbors were profane but friendly. One night while cleaning our fish I let the boys sit at the campfire. I came back 1 hr later. Our neighbors took pity on my boys. The neighbors brought some fuel from their camp and built the fire into an inferno that lit up our entire camp. The look on my boys faces was memorable. Each night they looked onto our neighbors fire with envy, but this night they had a great ******* fire. Needless to say, we have booked the same spot Memorial day and are looking forward to the camping, fishing and campfires. Blue Lake resort has campsites that are right on the lake. We were able to beach to tie up our drift boat just outside our tent.

I'd say take your kid, if the neighbors are obnoxious (most will neighbors will not be), just take your child out into the numerous areas around Potholes to get away from the crowd.

Do something physical like hiking or canoeing to wear them out, then return to camp just before bed time. The kids will sleep and never hear a word from the drunks. Your kids will love you for taking them out into the dessert.

If you go later in the season, The City of Moses Lake has a great water park that is very reasonable in cost. I took my 2 neighbor boys plus my son to Potholes State Park one year for memorial day weekend. It was unbearably hot - upper 90's each day. The way I got around that was to take the boys to water park all afternoon (they get their showers), eat dinner in town and then fish the evenings and mornings. The swimming wore them out so they all slept well, even in the heat.

G

·
I was there years ago and never went back. One big crapper; dirty, noisy, and definitely not a place for young kids...

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,853 Posts
Another option is to just stay in Moses Lake at a motel. Motel 6 is right off the freeway. Probably a step above Mar Don sheek.
Easy drive to the seep lakes and Potholes Res. After fishing, you are in town and have access to restraurants etc,

·
Gone south
1,109 Posts
I agree with Kevin. I'd avoid it in the middle of summer, but no one's partying on the beach this time of year! The dock fishes pretty well for an astonishing variety of fish, and if you don't have a boat you can rent one of theirs. Run up to the dunes and pull up to an island to fish and explore - there's a fair amount of wildlife, lots of tracks & stuff kids will love. Or you can drive into the Seep lakes for similar stuff if you don't want to do the boat thing.
But REALLY pay attention to the weather forecast and watch out for storms coming in over the ridge. The move in fast and that big shallow lake can get scary pretty quickly.

I don't think I've ever been to any big campground in the summer that wasn't loud, drunken and obnoxious...

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great feedback all. Much appreciated. Since I would be going mid-week in early April (next week) I am hoping the drunk-fest crowd would be at a minimum. If the scene is lower key than in the summer, it sounds like Mardon could hold promise for me and my boy.

Thanks again.

Bryan

·
Hot Carl
8,805 Posts
i grew up in that area. they're right, it won't be crowded YET. but the biggest reason is the spring wind storms that are so common this time of year. i spent a majority of the past few weeks over there helping my dad out on his farm, and the winds have been steadily 10+ MPH almost every day. monday of this week, it was a straight up dust storm with 30ish mph winds. so keep an eye on the forecast for sure, and if you see clouds coming from the west, you probably don't want to be outdoors for long.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.