Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Could be anything - caddis emerger, stonefly, spruce moth, etc. depending on size, color and how many cups of coffee consumed (2 here). Original was tied with hen hackle legs, pheasant aftershaft used here just to see; your choice.

hook - Dai Riki 280 #16
thread - MFC 8/0 sand
underbody - opalescent mylar medium
abdomen - midge tubing tan
underwing - Midge Krystal Flash pearl
wing - snowshoe rabbit foot cream
legs - aftershaft feather (in split-thread)
head - snowshoe rabbit cream (in split-thread)

mash barb, start thread at 2/3 mark; tie in tubing, wrap back to bend and return thread to tie-in

tie in tinsel, wrap to bend and back; tie off/trim

pull tubing tight and wrap abdomen; tie off/trim

tie in KF; fold back

clip a clump of snowshoe rabbit, even tips, measure (tips to bend); tie in/trim

prep aftershaft

since this is a smaller fly, a standard pheasant aftershaft would be too large (and I was too lazy to go looking for a smaller feather on a quail or woodcock skin) so I just used one side inserted in the clip

moisten, stroke fibers back and wrap

do the clip/split thread thing for the snowshoe underfur (or dub it if you prefer)

wrap, tie off/trim, half hitch x 2, SHHAN

Regards,
Scott

·
1,696 Posts
Thanks Scott, another great looking pattern! Question: how do you get the hair into the clip so evenly? I assume you stack it first? Then just carefully spread it in clip?

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Scott, another great looking pattern! Question: how do you get the hair into the clip so evenly? I assume you stack it first? Then just carefully spread it in clip?
After I inserted the underfur into the clip, I trimmed the exposed ends.

Harry Mason tied a similar fly, his Snowshoe Caddis:

he left his "as-is" and then trimmed the head top-and-bottom afterwards, kinda Muddler-style, very buggy. I think I'll try some his way, too.

Regards,
Scott

·
Indi Ira
9,505 Posts
After I inserted the underfur into the clip, I trimmed the exposed ends.

Harry Mason tied a similar fly, his Snowshoe Caddis:

he left his "as-is" and then trimmed the head top-and-bottom afterwards, kinda Muddler-style, very buggy. I think I'll try some his way, too.

Regards,
Scott
I also like the use of CDC in this one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.