Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hedzup, reasonably experienced paddlers who are also cutthroat fly anglers! Especially those of you I have talked to before about this.
PM me if you want to go look for some cutts and have a great day of paddling.
Game is on here in some of the spots I fish.:cool:
Early morning (at the crack) launch now, a bit later is still fine later in the week.

Can't beat lighter winds, a little fog, low overcast and some light drizzle for blueback fishing. Wind and bright sun are often the enemy of decent fly fishing for cutts out here!

I might even fire up the john boat with the casting deck in the bow, and do an estuary/river trip in that beast, since I need to get it prepped for trolling for Kings out in the Bay in a couple of weeks, anyway.
This would be part cutthroat fishing, part "estuary/tidal stream tour." I need to take it upstream as far as I can on the high, and practice rowing it downstream like some ungainly, wannabe driftboat! A "crew member" on board might help me get unstuck if I get into trouble! Ha...just kidding...I never get into trouble...:rolleyes:

Got business today, but at least 3 days to fish this coming week!

I'm perfectly OK going alone in my U-12, though.

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, I got a few replies, and have some hookups for now. Unfortunately, none sound like "experienced paddlers!"
I paddled around 20 miles or so in the #!&*$% River Estuary yesterday, with a 7:30am launch to a 7pm return. That was a marathon, but the tide setup almost demanded it. Too long a story to recount.
Fishing was "slow" but consistent. Couldn't find 'em hiding behind the current in structure by casting and stripping. Saw no surface activity at all. saw one jump clear out of the water, though. All day I hit about 5 really hard-fighting searun cutts 11" to 14", and another 5 or 6 smaller ones from 5" to 9". About one per hour, on average.

Got 'em trolling a #6 white modified Knudsen Spider (3x long streamer hook, gold bead head, little bit of red in the tail under natural Mallard Flank fibers, white New-Age Chenille body with no added ribbing, Natural Malllard flank, and a red "goatee").

The larger cutts all slammed it. Nearly got my rod yanked out of my boat several times on the hits. I had tried casting and stripping a hot orange Reversed Spider higher in the river (still tidal) and one of the larger creeks, with no success, working the structure and rooty cutbanks where I have found cutts before. Tide had dropped below those spots, though, and the water was low and any cutts around would be spooky and hiding. Fish were still lower down, I thought.

Good call. It was low tide, but pretty high for a low. I paddled back down into the estuary to do some exploratory trolling. Baitfish everywhere...I'm thinking any cutts around have all they want to eat, why would they hit my fly?
I'm sure it was because they hated it! It was hastily and sloppily constructed, 'round midnight, and was its own kind of nightmare.
But the nightmare turned into a daydream when I discovered where to find some bluebacks lower in the estuary than I have before, by trolling that killer streamer. A huge piece just fell into place in the jigsaw puzzle I'm putting together back there.
Long day, but well worth it. "Recovering" today, paddling/fishing again tomorrow! You can't access much of my water in a power boat without potentially getting stuck, grounded, or trapped by the falling tide. So I paddle! My U-12 has a draft of only about 4" which lets me glide over the shallow mudflats, shallow stream channels in the estuary, squeeze thru small gaps, drag, and portage when I must.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.