Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've organized a fishing day at Merrill with Local Yocal guide service:beer1:. Thad is back in town and he is going to join us as well, and a couple other fellow forum dwellers. I haven't been there since late April when we caught lots of fiesty fish. The lake is extremely low which is usual this time of year. I don't think there will be any kind of hatch but we will be using leaches and wooley buggers and some attractors and a crawfish immatator for the hell of it. Any one have any other suggestions?:hmmm::hmmm:

With all the knowledge my chosen guide has accumulated over the years, we should be in fish all day! :thumb::thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Eyes to the sky...
2,737 Posts
Dude, you gotta quit with that guide shit.:rofl::rofl::rofl:
I have one very excited 7yr old who is ready to leave tonite. I told him that I cant skip work, and he can't skip school. See you Sat AM.

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Oh Jim, you've put a lot of eggs into that one basket. Last I saw that basket it had a big hole in the bottom! Best of luck to you guys on your trip. I wish I was able to join the group. The girls have been asking for a fishing outing but I think that is a bit far for our attention span.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK you win, no more guide shit, did you look up those camp ground's? You also have a 54 yr old kid stoked about Merrill as well. I'm still waiting to hear from Thad on the carpool and I had to buy another Brodin. Tip of the day- when Grammas chickens get out make sure you're fishing nets are hung high so the grandson won't use it to catch said chickens and drop said net in the pasture somewhere never to be found again. Oh well just another $70 bucks down the shitter.

And Ed Merrill Lake is the perfect lake to bring the girls it would expand they're knowledge on new countries, this is a whole different world down here in Portland country. I do want to come up for the chum run though, I'll bring Bob along as well. Keep me in the loop, please!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Reading about Merrill Lake and fishing nets brought back a memory from a few summers ago. I fished Merrill in the fall and the lake was a lot lower than it is this year. I was fishing out of my float tube and was the only one on the lake. I kicked across the lake straight out from the boat launch to the far side of the lake. After a couple of hours I needed to relieve myself of the morning coffee intake and decided to wade up on shore by the small creek inlet. There was a great deal of bare bank exposed and it appeared to be the perfect spot. I kicked into the shallows to where I was able to stand up in the float tube. I noticed the bottom seemed a little soft, but by now I really needed to make it to shore. So with my float tube around my waist and fly rod in hand I blundered up the shore. I didn’t get very far and then suddenly sank in the mud up past my knees. This doesn’t sound too bad, but I have very hard plastic fins that I tie to my feet, so there is no way they are coming off. Combine the fins with a float tube around the waist and a fly rod in my hand, needless to say it was not a fun experience! I struggled for about ½ hour trying to make it back to solid ground. During the struggle I managed to break my fishing net which was hanging from the float tube, fortunately my rod survived!

Watch for the mud and by all means, try some dry attractors.

Good Luck!

Gary

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.