Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent the day on the Methow. Steelhead 1, Rotney 0. Hooked one very hot fish first thing this morning, eventually opted for the long line release. Was great fun while it lasted. Did catch a nice cutt, tho. Overcast all day, the river is in great shape for now, was raining lightly when I left this afternoon. There seems to be some fish around. Lots of pressure tho, fishermen everywhere, so if you don't mind combat fishing at Miller, give it a shot.

·
Hot Carl
8,798 Posts
Fished it for two days with my buddy Orangeradish, and we got goose eggs all around. We floated a good 10mi of river between the two days, and worked every pocket with everything we had. It's tough going out there.

And my advice: Don't attempt to float this river if you aren't the SHIT on the oars. I'm a pretty confident rower, and I got pretty nervous in some of those chutes. Sounds like some guys got in trouble out there last night; a few guys came by the launch looking for two floaters that never showed back up to the launch, and it was pitch black out by that time.

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Two fishy guys goose egged...not what I was hoping to hear.

·
2,882 Posts
Fished it for two days with my buddy Orangeradish, and we got goose eggs all around. We floated a good 10mi of river between the two days, and worked every pocket with everything we had. It's tough going out there.

And my advice: Don't attempt to float this river if you aren't the SHIT on the oars. I'm a pretty confident rower, and I got pretty nervous in some of those chutes. Sounds like some guys got in trouble out there last night; a few guys came by the launch looking for two floaters that never showed back up to the launch, and it was pitch black out by that time.
That chute right at the lower Gold Cr. bridge will cause a guy to pucker up a bit.

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Big Tuna, you run that in your raft? All this splashy talk make me want to go out and play.

·
2,882 Posts
Big Tuna, you run that in your raft? All this splashy talk make me want to go out and play.
I did earlier this summer when it was at about 800 cfs. It gets sketchier at about 500 because so much rock is exposed. The Methow is nothing compared to some of those rivers on the OP, but you do need to pay attention in spots or you can get in some trouble.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just got back from three days on the Methow and got nothing besides a 12" cutthroat. Creel Counter said only 9 brought to hand on Saturday. It sucked so bad that even though I was planning to stay till next sunday I came home to devise a new plan.

·
Still fly fishing in the PCW
5,370 Posts
Last year was a banner year, 23,398 in 2009 vs 11,738 YTD. It's still above the 10 year average of 9,702 and the 7th best year in the last 33 years. But with only half the fish of last year, well, it's going to be like steelheading again. We were spoiled last year but in the end, we are talking about a system with ESA-listed fish after all.

View attachment 35029

·
Flyfishing is so "Metal"
687 Posts
Was out on the Met the last weekend and I watched fish get hooked or caught by other people than me (yes I was jealous). I did rise one on a dry which was as cool as it can get with out hooking up but alas that 1 second of action was all I was allotted for the weekend.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.