Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dad and brother-in-law went in on a used Hyde a few weeks back and we're floating the Methow this weekend... I'm looking for info on decent floats. Neither of us have floated the Methow and honestly are looking for a float on the "easier" side.

We're looking at 2 choices right now.
-- Twist-to-Carlton
-- Winthrop-to-Twisp

Are these straight forward floats? Easy, medium, tough? Are the put-ins and take-outs marked?

Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've only "floated" the Methow in a tube during a rubber hatch (low flows of mid August), but I have always felt that Winthrop to Twisp has better fishing. Check out the flows, the water might start getting too skinny. Good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would give the Methow Fly Shop a buzz: http://methowriverflyshop.com/default.aspx. They run shuttles and generally know the status of various drifts.

That said, I would say you'd probably be better doing Halterman's hole (below Twisp on Carlton-Twisp Rd) to Carlton with a drift boat. (Both launches are signed by WDFW.) Winthrop to Twisp is probably pretty boney and bumpy in a DB right now. We generally find good fishing in the Twisp->Carlton stretch; the good runs are just more spaced out IMO.

Have fun!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Getting a drift boat into the Methow is difficult at best except for Halterman's, Carlton, 20 mile and Macfarland (sp) Creek. Halterman's (below Twisp) is difficult in low water as well. That is why the Methow is such a good pontoon and rubber raft river. Halterman's to Carlton is a LONG float, get an early start. A short easy float is Carlton to MM 20. 20 to Macfarland is also a nice float but has some challenging areas to negotiate. (last year I passed a canoe bent in half on that section.)

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
BTW-while Halterman's is signed (the sign was down two weeks ago) it is a little tricky to find. From Twisp, take the Twisp-Carlton Road about 1 1/2 miles. The road makes a sharp left hand bend just after the turn off to the launch. The launch road angles to the left off the main road and is a little overgrown. You will probably have to drive out on the gravel bar to launch. Rick

·
Registered
1,644 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
If you are brand new to rowing a drift boat-think about the Yakima first. The Methow is much more challenging. That said, I've rowed my wooden drift boat on the stretch from Halterman's to milepost 20 with nary a scratch. I much prefer pontoon boats on this river-easier to get over the skinny water and much easier to get in and out of the river. Rick

·
90 Posts
It might be easier to do in a cheap raft from K-mart. That's what all the kids I saw last weekend were using and they seemed to be having no problems with any of the aforementioned drifts. Innertubes seemed to work just fine too!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We're not brand new to rowing, we've floated the Yakima, Bitterroot and Big Hole, but it's sounding like we may be dragging bottom at bit more that we'd like with a newer boat. Thanks for the info, I think we'll probably pass on the floating the Methow right now. Actually, I'll just pass along this info to the boat owners and let them decide.

Thanks
J

·
Fly Fishing guide "The Bogy House" Lodge
383 Posts
DO NOT FLOAT INTO CARLTON in a drift boat at these levels,,, especially without going through with a raft first, don't even try unless you look at the rapids 3 or 4 miles upstream from Carlton.

·
Jasper hickman
325 Posts
My buddies and I float these streaches for a few years now and Ive guided the whitewater streach below carlton for a few years also. From my expereince this is what I know. There are no rapids above Carlton, if a drunk dude in a innertube wearing cutoff jeans with a boombox on his lap, you can also! (youll see plenty of this). A few minor waves is what youll find, hardly any wood in the river and the trees that are down are extreamly easy to avoid. If I had only one trip to do this is it, drive over and fish from the bank right north of River Bend campground right before dark. Then in the morning launch your boat at the launch right at River Bend campground and float all the way to Carlton its a 12 hour day so be ready. 2 weeks ago I hooked into 2 fish over the 20" mark and around 20 smaller fish in that float

All that being said a pontoon boat is the ticket for this trip, but with a few able body men it should be no prob

·
Josh
639 Posts
It wasn't bad last weekend. I floated Winthrop to Twisp and Twisp to Carlton. I would "still" do both in a Driftboat. I say "still" because as the flow drops it is going to get a lot skinnier and you will be pushing/dragging your boat.

There is a nice Boulder field that is above Carlton and at any lower it would be pretty hairy. That being said, the river was a nice temp for a swim/wet wade.

Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.