Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
North Bend, WA
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forward for Methow Valley Fly Fishers
=====================================
[h3]THE METHOW VALLEY'S TWIN LAKES IS IN TROUBLE--- YOU CAN HELP SAVE THIS PREMIER SELECT FISHERY[/h3]
History: In 1999, the Wolf Creek Reclamation District's leaky, earthen canal was piped to enact enforcement of the Endangered Species Act.
As a result, since then, the Twin Lakes aquifer and the Twin Lakes have dropped 11 feet.
If nothing is done NOW, the lake and aquifer levels will continue to drop by at least another 8 feet, to pre 1920's levels. Little Twin will become a marsh.

Current Impacts:
· Twin Lakes, a nationally registered wetland has been severely compromised, effecting fish, bird and wildlife habitat.
· Domestic wells are going dry. Water quality is deteriorating. Declining real estate values and tax revenues.
· Select recreational fishery is in jeopardy, impacting tourism, lodging, campground, local economy.
· Summer 2002, Little Twin had a thermal/oxygen fish kill.
· Barnsley Lake is dry. It has lost its turtle populations. Deer and waterfowl habitat is gone.

Action:
In May 2002, the Twin Lakes Aquifer Coalition (TLAC) was formed.
TLAC received grant money from Department of Ecology to assess the problem.
TLAC has substantiated the following recommendations to the State Legislature for funding to create a
a five-year project.

Steps:
· Drill a well on the Methow River and pipe to Big Twin Lake on the north end of the campground.
This requires an emergency water right, to be used during high water. This water right request has to be serviced first, above all others, because of the enforcement actions by agencies and the choices made by Wolf Creek Reclamation District to pipe the ditch and the cumulative impacts on the environment and water availability.
· An interruptible diversion from Thompson Creek to be used during off-season.
Water would be piped into an infiltration point near Big Twin.
Emergency water right will be needed.

Bottom Line:
We are asking the State legislature to fund a budget estimated at $675,000 over five years.
It's a lot of money and a lot of time----and we believe worth it.
We hope you think so too.

Act Now--- help get Twin Lakes full again.

For info: contact Dick Ewing, TLAC chairman at 509-996-2098 or [email protected]
Ben Dennis, TLAC Board member, president Methow Valley Fly Fishers 509-996-2784 / [email protected]

Write your legislators and State agencies---tell them how important Twin Lakes is to all of us.

Email List: access.wa.gov , [email protected] , [email protected] , [email protected] , [email protected] , [email protected] , [email protected] , [email protected] , [email protected] , [email protected] , [email protected] , [email protected] , [email protected] , [email protected]

Governor Gary Locke: access.wa.gov
Senator Linda Evans-Parlette: [email protected]
Representative Mike Armstrong: [email protected].gov
Robert Lohn, Regional Administrator, NOAA: [email protected]
Jeff Koenings, Director, WDFW: [email protected]
Tom Fitzsimmons, Director, WA. State Dept. of Ecology: [email protected]
WA. Fish & Wildlife Commission: [email protected]
Representative Cary Condetta: [email protected]
Representative Bruce Chandler: [email protected]
Representative Bob Sump: [email protected]
Representative Cathy McMorris: [email protected]
Senator Bob Morton: [email protected]
Senator Jim Honeyford: [email protected]
Okanogan commissioners: Dave Schultz, Craig Verjaska, Mary Lou Peterson: [email protected]
Mark Miller, USFW: [email protected]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Let us spend our tax dollars on something else!

It's too bad that an artificially maintained lake with genetically altered fish stock is going to dry up. I suppose I might be a little ticked if I had spent 250 grand on lakefront that will now be "mud" front. But let's have a little perspective. These lakes are minor to the amount lake fishing in the Methow. Perhaps one might have to drive an extra 15-20, shucks. If these folks want to attack the ESA with some sort of property rights group to confront the issue of dry wells, then so be it. Besides, is it possible that all the growth around this aquifer (each home has an individual well) will have more impact on the wildlife than a couple of small lakes, soon to be marshes will, ever have? Just a thought.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I think what this movement is striving for is support from the fly-fishing community. I think trying to save a great selective sport fishery is never a bad investment. I have spent many relaxing days on twin lakes enjoying the local scenery close to town and talking with fellow anglers from all over the state.

The Twin lakes has some amazing mayfly, midge and damsel hatches, which yield some large rainbow trout and Lahontan cutthroat. I think it is a unique fishery because it is so close to winthrop. Many people do not have the luxury of hiking or driving great distances to find fishing opportunitys, due to age or dissability.

I hope this movement will gain some support from fisher people who care---it is easy to say "spend our tax money on something else."

thanks,
mcronariver

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mr. Tube fly you are total right on. That soon to be mud hole has only lasted as long because of the water taken from thompson creek for errigation. There are other waters that need more attention and plenty of other places to fish there when it does dry up.:D

·
Registered
327 Posts
Wow! I'm impressed with the honesty on this one. Nice comment! I am a recent additive to the Valley and I've taken interest in this project. As a fisherman who's heard of 'the good ol' days at Big Twin' I'm interested in restoring it as a real close-by-after-work-big-bow-hotspot! As someone trained in conservation biology (and a working biologist), I am intrigued to see what will come of this when it goes through the bueaucratic machine. It's a bunch of money intended on 'restoring' something that wasn't there in the first place but it has very obvious benefits assuming it works. We'll see!
:hmmm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.