Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm headed deeper into the woods this evening. If anyone is interested in joining me I will be leaving Seattle around 4pm. Need to make a pit stop at Kaufmans then up the dirt road to slam gran pappy bows :) Yeah Right LOL

·
Be the guide...
5,190 Posts
Good luck! It is fishing well and getting very wadeable. I took a buddy out today and we slayed them (actualy C&R'd them - but you know what I mean...).

Would have prefered to fish in the evening when they rise better to dries, but I did get a few on the dry. But the best action was below the surface. Eiter on my dropper on on streamers \ buggers. Between my buddy and I we probably landed easily over 30 fish and lost many more in the 2 hours we were there. The spot we were fishing can only be found by wading - and only when the water is low enough. We were probably the first to fish the spot this year and the fish were very active and very uneducated - hitting everything we through at them. The best thing is that the average fish seems to be bigger so far this year. We caught many in the 10 to 12 inch range only a few were in the 5 to 7 inch range.

The best part was when I hooked a 5incher in a big beautiful pool and as I wanted to get it off quickly so I could start fishing again, I was dragging him in and he was skipping on the surface sometimes. Well, I noticed a shadow following it and sure enough, its a big fish and it's trying to eat my little dink. This big cuttie followed my fish all the way to my feet. I just stood there mouth gaping as this fish was litterly chomping on my fish not 4 feet from me. I hollered at my buddy, but all he could see were some big splashes and swirls. After releasing my dink and trying to see where the big guy went, I quickly began casting agiain but no luck. I moved on and a few minutes later my buddy (standing where I just saw that fish) shouts at me as his rod doubles over and he gets a headshake that says 'big fish'. Sure enough, he found my big cuttie and lands it. We didn't measure it, but it was at least 16inches and very thick. If not the longest, it was definately the heaviest and healthiest cuttie I've seen on the MF. I snapped a quck photo with my disposable camera - so in a few weeks I"ll post a pic. Great day on the river!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I must be doing something right. Started getting a few larger bows. Around 9-10" inchers which is an improvement. These little guys are real fighters. I wish I had a 4wt my 6 wt is over kill don't really get to appreciate how hard these little guys fight. Tonight I used RL Stimulators and fished until 915pm or so. Some holes that were zeroes became winners as the sun set. Ran across 2 other guys on the section I was working. Have no idea how they did. Amazing that this river is so close to seattle and there are so few people that venture more than .25 miles from the access. But as darkness drew near even the holes near the road became very productive. I was shocked. My last little guy was the best size and fight and it was less then 100 meters from the road. Go figure. Think I might campout up stream a couple of miles or so to get a real feel of this stream when there is no sun or people on the less fished sections. I hate running for the car as darkness approaches.

·
Be the guide...
5,190 Posts
Correction - that should have stated - "...over 20 fish...", not 30. Although 30 was doable if we targeted the smaller fish - but I was determined to find a big one like my buddies - so I kept to a bigger fly and pulled it away if I saw fish under 10 inches chasing it.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

Quit bragging. I'm sitting here laid up and you are talking about 20 fish days. I'm beginning to hate you:p :rofl :bawling .

Banged up knee and a back that won't let me stand up straight. Don't ever get old.:bawling

Jim

·
Be the guide...
5,190 Posts
Sorry to hear that Jim. But I konw you'll be up soon and catching all the fish while the rest of us are stuck at work :) Oh, and you are just too smart to let us know how well you are REALLY doing. You can't fool me with all your hard luck stories and shark repelent waders. I've seen you in action and I know that trout just aren't safe with you out and about with your trusty map and subaru :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Went Saturday with my brother. First time on this water. Not sure where we were. Went to the gate at the end of the road. Then turned around and took a left on another road. this took us to a smaller stream that fed into a larger body. Not sure if this was the Pratt, Taylor, or MF. Got three in 3 hours. Over all, a good day of exploring.

Thamks again to the guys with all the tips last week.:thumb

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

No,I really am laid up. As I sit here typing this I wish I was laying down. But when I lay down I have a real hard time sitting up. It's like I'm damned if I do and I'm damned if I don't. I better get better as I think that I hear some trout calling. Or I'll just go and damn the pain.:bawling

Jim

·
Registered
18 Posts
I went up on my own to Friday. Not much of a fireworks fan so I was happy to be there until 9. Wish I could have stayed longer.

Anyway, this was the first time that I went up there as well. I followed the access road in and went up FR56 for at least 20 minutes. Not having been there before I was eager to hit the water.

How far is too far on that road? I was happy with the water I was on catching a few 10 inchers but would love to be more alone (campers asking me where my fish were... back in the river dumba**).

I am looking forward to going back up there soon, it is close and very beautiful.

If only I knew what I am doing....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.