Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Merged a couple styles to see what happens. Went thru a few tying sequences and this seemed to work the best.
Finally got the damn cast off and replaced it with a removable splint; even though it's only the left wrist, it sure got in the way and made tying a lot more complicated.

hook - Dai Ike 300 #10
thread - UTC 140 black
tail - moose body hair
body - deer hair
rib - tying thread
wing - deer hair

Mash barb, start thread at 2/3 mark, wrap to bend

Clean, stack, measure (slightly longer than entire hook) a few moose body hairs; tie in/trim

Wrap thread to one eye width back from eye; clean, stack, measure (shank length) a healthy clump of deer hair, trim butts/tie in with 2 soft loops, pull tight and let it spin

Clean, stack, measure (tips just past bend) another clump of deer hair; trim butts, tie in against wing butts, then spiral wrap to bend

Wrap forward, crossing previous wraps, return to base of wing

Push deer hair back; try to distribute evenly around shank

Pull wing back and create thread dam to keep it in place

Whip finish, SHHAN

Trim out hair underneath

Go fishing

Regards,
Scott

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
Finally got the damn cast off and replaced it with a removable splint; even though it's only the left wrist, it sure got in the way and made tying a lot more complicated.
Sorry to hear of your wrist issue, Scott. A person sure couldn't tell of any incapacitation from looking at the picture-perfect flies you have shared with us. Heal-up soon.

·
Premium Member
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Listen to your body AND your doctor.
Ortho said I could go fishing now. I said it may be a bit awkward (and probably painful) using a wading staff; he said just get a guide to row me. Didn't want to tell him that $500 outlay would be just about my entire fishing budget for the year (including gas, license and campground fees) :rolleyes:

Regards,
Scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.