Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I fished the Middle Fork for the first time in two years yesterday. The reason for the lapse in time is because the last few times I fished there I was disgusted by the ammount of trash those red-neck SOB's left strewn about. I was also tired of risking my life in what at times seemed like a war zone with all of the gunfire.

I ended up hiking in a ways from the road so I didn't come across much if any trash which I was pleased with and didn't hear one gunshot. I don't know if this is the result of more enforcement or if I just got lucky, but either way I was pleasantly surprised. I ended up hooking into a dozen or so trout the biggest I landed was about 10" and I hooked onto a few that jumped and fought harder than I thought possible for a 10" cutthroat. I had a great time and plan on going often. I will still go to my favorite waters on the Yakima and Teanaway, but for a close fishery the Middle Fork is pretty acceptable. I did lose the trail on the way back to my car and had to bushwhack and did lose my way for awhile, but I made it back safely without encountering the bear whose tracks I saw in the river mud so it was a good day.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience. Did the same thing over the 4th weekend to include getting a little disoriented. Twice, I walked away from the river only to end up back at the river! Time to invest in GPS! I did well with diving caddis and DSP's.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did the exact opposite. I got to a point where I couldn't bushwhack anymore so I decided to head back to the river and go up or down stream until I noticed a definite trail, but I ended up popping out of the vegetation on the road about 20 yds from my car (I have no idea how that happened). I have a GPS, but it is a cheap one and is useless if there is any tree cover. I think I will put my compass in my fishing vest for now on though.

·
Be the guide...
5,190 Posts
How far up did you go?

(BTW - if the owner of the Acura? is reading this and is missing a fly fishing related tool, send me a PM if you can describe it and want it back.)

The reason I was asking if it was you is becuase the spot I was at also requires some bushwacking, and there were recent bear tracks last time I was there.

You are right about the area showing some improvemnts. By closing off a lot of the spur roads and cutting down on the year round 'campers', a lot of the issues have gone away. Of course a lot of folks are PO'd that their favorite back roads are closed - but that's a small price to pay for keeping the valley cleaner and safer. I remember a few years ago that just about every other visit I'd hear automatic gun fire. And several times I've been nearly killed by crazy drivers - probably up there partying all weekend and trashing the place. There have also been some clubs doing some serious cleanup work as well. And if nothing else, the fishing has been getting a little better the last 5 years or so. Or else I'm just getting that much better :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was also up there for the first time in 2 years-absence due to trashy conditions. I was pleasantly surprised at how much nicer things were, and will try and fish this river much more often.

One of the smaller roads that leads to the river above the Taylor confluence had a flyer proclaiming that the area was cleaned up by the friends of the trail. Kudos to them, and I am going to fire off an email to see if there are any other local volunteer opportunities in which they need help (how can there not be?). Probably not a bad thing for those of us who care passionately about our environment, and are looking for meaningful and measurable ways to help, to get involved with...
tight lines!
http://www.friendsofthetrail.org/website2003.htm

PS. Spent way more time fishing than driving. Made two rookie mistakes. took the inlaws up past the taylor river-they really didn't like the road, and forgot to pack insect repellant. black flies are baaaad. did catch a couple of cutties in about an hour of fishing. :professor Next outing- twin falls park with OFF and beers.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't look at the odometer, but I was about 1 mile or so above the bridge. I just turned out on a place that appeared to have a trail, but it dwindled to nothing after a short distance. I had no problem getting to the river, but getting out was @##@%. Bear don't bother me usually, but when you wandering around the dark woods at night.....

I know of a better place to put in not far from where I found some really good fishing so the next time I will go in there.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

Well Chad your secret place is still a secret with me. Tried to get into there yesterday. Got about as far as the dam and said the hell with it and left. I had water pouring off of me like I turned the tap on. And when I got ready to fish every thing that could go wrong went wrong. By my meaning that there is no room except to perform a roll cast. Well being that my shakes got the better of me. But I did manage one fish before I left,but it was small,about 5".

I think that if it was about freezing out I could make it in there with out looking like I poured water over me.

Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.