Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this sport, and am doing a bunch of trial and error. Took a sunday and went with a buddy to the Middle Fork Snoqualmie and got skunked. I would like to say it was nice to be out anyway, but if you looked up at the sky, you would know that wasn't true. Got totally soaked. Doing a bit more reading, it sounds like maybe the Upper snoqualmie may be a bit better for trout and maybe a bit later, say in April. Am I off in my thinking with that? It's an easy day trip out there so probably will give it a shot a few more times with hopefully better weather and better luck. Need to learn more about what to cast and when and river flows and such. So much to learn.

·
It's all about the sauce.....
551 Posts
Totally True on the timing. Summer months are great on both the south and middle fork. I prefer the south as it seems pretty quiet,easy to walk, and the water is crystal clear. When the water level drops and the water temp gets up to 45 it becomes a dry fly haven. Elk Hair Caddis, Humpy's, and just about any parachute. See you out there in June.

·
aka Dave Hoover
1,348 Posts
The earliest I would try it with a chance of success would be late June (or when the river goes down into normal summer flows)
I agree with fishing in June but the MF flow now isn't far off it's early Summer level. I was up there last week and I was able to wade across one section in hippers.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I also got sucked in by the sunny weather and went up to the Middle Fork on Saturday. Skunked as well but boy what a beautiful day. As the Dave said it is nearly at summer levels now....which makes me wonder what it's going to be like in August. I saw about a half dozen people fishing and a ton of hikers. And although I didn't catch anything it totally recharged my batteries being up there in the forest and by the river.
One funny thing happened. I was sitting between a couple of rocks next to the river working on a knot and kept thinking that I heard something. Looked over my shoulder a few times but nothing. Just the sound of the river, I thought. Then I sensed something and turned to look behind me and not 2 inches from my face was some kind of big brown pitbull mix. His nose was literally inches from my face. He just looked at me and ran off. Scared the crap out of me. For a split second just as he came into view I thought I was seeing my first bear in the wild....up close and personal.
That was my big thrill for the day.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We never found a place we could get across the river. Seemed pretty deep in all over. Might have just been the spot we picked. As I said, it was raining at a pretty good clip most of yesterday, so we didn't travel around too much. Didn't see any fish coming up either. Very swift currents as well. Definitely could not get across. We found a pretty deep and quiet pool with a deer stand and a zip line going across to it it seemed. Oh and speaking of that, where we parked were a spinal column and ribs and some other bones ling about in a couple spots. Thought maybe hunters who dressed a deer out there. I knew my wife would be upset I didn't bring them back for her when I told her. She had taken a forensic anthropology class awhile back and always seems to like getting bones. Yup, she can be weird.

Thanks for the info. We didn't go for the Yakima, though I've been hearing decent things about it, cause it sounded like you needed to float it. Neither of us have a way to do this. Might give that a shot in the near future, though. thanks again!

·
aka Dave Hoover
1,348 Posts
Anyone temp'ing the water when you go? The water may be low but is probably a bit too cold for actively rising fish - there is still frost on my windows out here some mornings.
No actual thermometer reading but the water IS very cold.

·
Remember when you could remember everything?
7,182 Posts
The old timers say that it's only worth fishing the Snoqualmie forks from roughly the Fourth of July to the first heavy fall rains. In my experience, you can take that to the bank. I've tried all the forks at other times when the water looks absolutely fishy, but it's 'light's on, but nobody's home'. Whatever I do always ends up being casting practice.

To Jim's point above, cold water doesn't seem to stop Montana and Idaho fish from feeding and taking a fly during winter and cold water. One of the great mysteries is where the Snoqualmie fish go during the late fall, winter and spring? And why? Over the years I've heard a bunch of theories. While they all sound compelling, none have been proven so they're just theories and nothing more.

So while we scratch our heads and wait for summer, here's a pic of a nice cuttie taken from one of the forks one August a few years back.

K

·
Now hanging at the other, better new place
3,681 Posts
We never found a place we could get across the river. Seemed pretty deep in all over. Might have just been the spot we picked. As I said, it was raining at a pretty good clip most of yesterday, so we didn't travel around too much. Didn't see any fish coming up either. Very swift currents as well. Definitely could not get across. We found a pretty deep and quiet pool with a deer stand and a zip line going across to it it seemed.
I think you probably found the USGS' cable and "cart."

·
aka Dave Hoover
1,348 Posts
The old timers say that it's only worth fishing the Snoqualmie forks from roughly the Fourth of July to the first heavy fall rains. In my experience, you can take that to the bank. I've tried all the forks at other times when the water looks absolutely fishy, but it's 'light's on, but nobody's home'. Whatever I do always ends up being casting practice.

To Jim's point above, cold water doesn't seem to stop Montana and Idaho fish from feeding and taking a fly during winter and cold water. One of the great mysteries is where the Snoqualmie fish go during the late fall, winter and spring? And why? Over the years I've heard a bunch of theories. While they all sound compelling, none have been proven so they're just theories and nothing more.

So while we scratch our heads and wait for summer, here's a pic of a nice cuttie taken from one of the forks one August a few years back.
I agree. I've gone looking for them outside the prime season and everywhere seems totally barren including the tribs. But I'm sure some WDFW Biologist holds the answer to this mystery. Nice cutthroat by the way.

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
When I fished in Washington it was dry fly or not at all. Now that I'm in Montana, it is nymph or not at all. I believe that if you all put your dry flies away and did the nymph thing, you would all catch those hidden fish.

In cold weather, there are fish to catch. But where I'm at you need nymphs.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Last time I fished it there were 2 hatches and as spinner fall going on. Cerviche with his perfect 9" loops and dry flies got one 4" fish.
I used a sink tip and a hornberg and for a while caught fish on every cast.
I momentarily felt really bad I couldn't throw those 9" loops, but the fish didn't seem to mind.

·
1,411 Posts
I believe that if you all put your dry flies away and did the nymph thing, you would all catch those hidden fish.

In cold weather, there are fish to catch. But where I'm at you need nymphs.
I think Jim has hit the mark here.

Go low and slow and see what happens..

·
It's all about the sauce.....
551 Posts
I can see nymphing to work this time of the year. It's tough in summer on the south fork, at least where I go. I guess I'm doing it wrong though. I seem to get stuck between the rocks a lot. The boulders are everywhere just above twin falls so the water seems really fast. Stimulators seem to work well though and cant go wrong with elk hair caddis'. My first fish there was a 13" Native Cutt. Didn't think much of it till I found out that's a monster for the south fork.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.