Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am a college student in Walla Walla. I have been fishing at bennington Lake but besides that not really anywhere else. I keep hearing what great fishing walla walla has but cant really find any. are there any suggestions? Also, I found a spot on Swegle road just past Whitman Mission that I can fish Mill Creek on. what type of fish are in there and is it worth trying?

Thanks

· Registered
4 Posts
I'm also a college student in Walla Walla! I've never fished in Mill Creek, but I second b_illymac's suggestion, most of the good fishing I've done has been in the Blues within about an hour's drive or less. If you haven't stopped in before, I've always been able to get good advice on fly selections and places to go at Steve's Archery and Fishing shop.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You should catch the heck out of pike minnows there
hey thanks for the tips! what setup should i use to catch them? the mill creek is pretty shallow with fast moving water.....i fish there cus i dont have a car so that spot is pretty close by. when i went there today i saw hundreds of little fish but i couldnt tell what type.

· Registered
469 Posts
Hopefully you've found this by now: http://wallawallaflyfishers.blogspot.com/

and there was an article on the internet that I can't find now that was written by one of the Whitman professors, now retired I think, that covered a good bit of ground around Walla Walla.
I've fished over there pretty extensively, and never done much in Mill Creek. My girlfriend lives on the upper part of the creek and every year we get a survey and permission form requesting access to the creek to survey steelhead redds there. (There aren't many, and they run up and spawn before the regs open the creek.)
If you've got friends who mountain bike or hike, try and bum a ride over to Harris Park outside Milton Freewater and there's miles of the South Fork Walla Walla you can access. The Wenaha is also accessible the same way from Troy, Or. Wooten Wildlife Area offers both stillwater and river access, but it's a good ride on the other side of Dayton. Oh, and the Touchet over by Waitsburg offers access too.

· dead drifting into thread drift
5,740 Posts
Like billy mentioned, blue lines further up into the Blues. Mill Creek further upstream than W2. Just across the border into OR has some good options as well (SF WW, Wallowa, etc). Double check the regs obviously. If all else fails, there are always smallies....thought I had posted this yesterday, but apparently not.

· Registered
25 Posts
hey thanks for the tips! what setup should i use to catch them? the mill creek is pretty shallow with fast moving water.....i fish there cus i dont have a car so that spot is pretty close by. when i went there today i saw hundreds of little fish but i couldnt tell what type.
I'm a resident in WW as well. You probably saw our native redbands if you were looking in the canal downtown. Iv seen some 10-12"ers down there! I haven't been fishing terribly long but if you have any questions, I'd prefer to communicate via message!

· Registered
25 Posts
Hello,

I am a college student in Walla Walla. I have been fishing at bennington Lake but besides that not really anywhere else. I keep hearing what great fishing walla walla has but cant really find any. are there any suggestions? Also, I found a spot on Swegle road just past Whitman Mission that I can fish Mill Creek on. what type of fish are in there and is it worth trying?

Thanks
-sorry for coming late to the thread.
That spot can get pretty warm and gets a lot of "swimming hole" traffic. Trout are there when it's cooler but when it's warm it's smallies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.