Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Slainte
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although this is primarily a still water report I thought I'd post on the main forum...because I can. :)

Last week Scott joined me at the ranch for a mini-fling as he was not able to be a the formal Spring Fling weeks earlier. Our plan was to fish hard for two days and try to make up for lost time. The plan didn't always come through but we did have a good time, and a memorable one.

The ranch has greened up nicely after the fire, in fact the place is growing like mad. So the first task was mowing. That out of the way, Scott showed up and we plotted our early morning attack for the next day.
A certain small lake that holds rather large fish...

Since it's a small lake with challenging access I loaned Scott one of my FishCats. He seems to fit it rather nicely.

As I said, there are some large fish in this little lake. I managed a few of them and this was by far the largest. Scott went to the dark side in the shallows and started hitting the 12-14 inchers. He was broke off several times to his dismay by some of the larger fish. I told him 5X wasn't going to hold them...
I think part of the reason the fish have such large shoulders is the flying full meal deals around the lakes.

After the bite fell off we decided to try another lake nearby. I picked up one just off the put in but that was it. All morning we experienced light rain, swirling wind, but when the sun came out it got hot fast. We opted for a couple of cold ones back at the ranch.

The next day we headed for a lake at the 3200 foot elevation that has always been a challenge. But we're suckers for the pretty little area.

The view changed just minutes after getting on the water. Wind and light rain came in from the south-west. The light rain changed to heavy rain, lightning and thunder. The clincher was the hail! Scott did pick up a nice fat brookie from the lake before we decided that a hot lunch and a nap sounded really good. I only had one tug all morning, but they are there...
On the way out I took a photo or two of the rolling rain storms.

When we got back to the house and the weather cleared a little we could see fresh snow on the ridge to the west of the valley. After a good nap we threw Sasha in the truck and headed up the hill to let her run in the woods. As we came around the corner a rather large bear was in the road staring us down. We scrambled to grab phones or cameras for a photo op. The bear was a deep brown color, not jet black like most in the area. It wasn't phased much by us as it turned around and ambled up the draw.

The fishing may not have been stellar but the experience and company made the trip well worth while. It's always a treat to share the ranch and it's surroundings with close friends...and a bear or two...

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Nice little out-a-the-way corner of the state you got there Roper! Nice report. I've only been up that way one time. Your photos make me think it's time for a return trip.

Sg

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
Wow, nice report & photos of that little slice of Heaven! Thanks for sharing, Roper. I need to explore other parts of Washington more . . .

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
That fish is still eyeing the damsel after being caught, in a net, and the bug not even in the same picture/place in time... amazing how focused they are! Good show.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.