Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished the Mixer hard yesterday with a buddy. Not one grab. High vis and water temp was 41 degrees. Anyone have any luck on the Skagit or the Sauk this week?

No grabs,but the weather was awesome.

K2todd.

·
Fly Guy Eat Pie
460 Posts
I fished the Mixer hard yesterday with a buddy. Not one grab. High vis and water temp was 41 degrees. Anyone have any luck on the Skagit or the Sauk this week?

No grabs,but the weather was awesome.

K2todd.
was on the sauk on saturday, no luck. lots of guys out, talked to a few, no one caught anything

·
Flaccid Member
3,900 Posts
i was on both the skagit and sauk saturday. no steel but plenty of bulls. havent heard of a steelhead in my group of friends for over a week. hopefully next rain will change that.

whats up Ian!? you'd be proud of my casting its gettin better!

·
Registered
82 Posts
no disrespect intended, but it shouldn't take all day to fish the mixer. unless you need to take a couple time outs for undoing tangles, a couple time outs to pound beers, and a couple time outs to sober up. Id say two hours max, and then move on. I hit the mixer with time to fish a few other choice spots on the skagit and maybe the sauk. thats factoring my super slow gangster limp and the fact that I usually make the drive home before dark.

get your swing down, so your presentation is tasty and if there are fish they will grab it. In my opinion the best tool we have is a car (or boat) so we can cover lots of water. sitting In one hole all day rarely amounts to much after the first and sometimes second swing through.

·
east coast transplant
59 Posts
I'm a little confused by this. It is my understanding that steelhead are moving up the river all day long, so that even if I fish an hour down one run, after a short break it would be productive to fish that run again, because new fish might swim up into that section of the river. Therefore, if I find a run that seems nice to fish, it would be productive to fish that run several times, waiting for fish to arrive.

Is this wrong? How long does it take a fish to move up a bar like the Mixer? And how long a break would you recommend between fishing a run once and fishing it again?

Rob

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I should have clarified that I fished the Native hole in the morning. We hit the mixer around 10:45am. Fished the entire run and then double backed to hit the upstream break again. My confidence was high and I had my fly fishing well, low and slow. Total swing time on the mixer 2 3/4 hours. I had an early evening committment, otherwise I would fished until dusk.

Didn't take any breaks to pound brews, or eat lunch. Couple of beef jerkery breaks on the downstream hang, and guzzled some H20.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm a little confused by this. It is my understanding that steelhead are moving up the river all day long, so that even if I fish an hour down one run, after a short break it would be productive to fish that run again, because new fish might swim up into that section of the river. Therefore, if I find a run that seems nice to fish, it would be productive to fish that run several times, waiting for fish to arrive.

Is this wrong? How long does it take a fish to move up a bar like the Mixer? And how long a break would you recommend between fishing a run once and fishing it again?

Rob
im sure someone will call BS on me, but I think on killer blue bird days (described in the original post for you nit pickers) with clear water, the fish don't move around that much for fear of predators.

also as with most of the languishing S rivers there is one steelhead per ???? miles of river usually? sooo what if that one steel head is hanging out with his girl friend or BFF (best fishy friends)? then you just took that number of river miles and doubled it or quadrupled it (and yes I understand steelhead per mile doesn't work the same way as trout per mile on the yakima I was just trying to illustrate a point:thumb:)

once the water starts rising and getting dirty I think that sitting on one run COULD BE more productive, but I feel that you would be missing out on a hell of a lot of water by standing around hoping that a fish might just travel into the run you have camped out at all day.

I would fish it, and move on and possibly hit it on the way back if the feng shui still looks right.

if you are targeting hatchery fish then camping at the established hatchery holes and drop off pits, might be more effective since the hatchery brats don't eff around when they head upstream... but I don't believe the mixer is one of those places. plus the mixer just isn't as great a holding water as it used to be, there are a couple slots but its not really that remarkable.

·
Registered
82 Posts
TWO HOURS? Its two hours just once through, and another couple after a change-up and a brew.
two hours was a gestimate, but I would say about right; for a blue bird day and 6 feet if water clarity. if it had some murk I might doddle. my sensei learned me about crawling through a hole and bombing through it (as long as you cover it well) and the bombers get the same fish the crawlers do, plus more time for self congratulation.
why creep through a hole like the mixer when the water is gin clear? the aggressive fish will strike, and the ones with lock jaw stay that way even if you slap them in the face.

it takes me almost the same amount of time to feel like I fished the cable hole on the sauk properly, just because of all the structure and possibilites. the cable hole is puny in comparison to the mixer, but has a TON of fish hiding structure, and remains shaded till midday and fish that are out of the sun and feeling safe are more inclined to bite from my experience.

mainly what im trying to say is if you drove a few hours to get to a river and had a boat; you just wouldn't hit one bar on the river would you? you would cover lots of water and your chances would increase. you wouldn't spend an obscene amount of time at just anyone place, right? why should land bound anglers be any different?

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
Todd,

As mentioned, the Mixer (Sauk Bar more accurately since the "Mixer" is the big eddy pool immediately downstream from Sauk Bar, but I digress) doesn't hold fish as well as it used to. Even so, it remains a "barometer" steelhead pool, producing about as well as any average steelhead holding water. Not getting a grab there any more really doesn't say anything about how well steelheading is overall. I think it's still worth fishing tho, but I wouldn't dally. With the visibility you describe, I 5-step it; minimum.

Robbbos,

Your understanding is incorrect. Steelhead move upstream when conditions are well suited to movement, and they move as more or less random individuals. Given that, waiting around re-fishing the same pool over and over is a colossal waste of time the vast majority of the time. However, I and other like-minded steelheaders will appreciate your doing so, as it will keep you off all the other pools that we are fishing according to our steelhead fishing strategy of covering as much holding water as possible per fishing day. I would fish Sauk Bar no more than once a day, and not even every day if I could find other good water.

Sg

·
Ignored Member
12,111 Posts
The best time to fish the Sauk bar is early before you can see across the river and just before dark. Always has been that way and always will be. Fishing at these times makes the walk in and the walk out interesting. I don't care who you are walking the old railroad bed in the dark will raise the hairs on the back of your neck.

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
Ah yes, walking. What year was it they closed off the access road? I used to know a member of the family who owns or owned that lot on the north side of the rail bed at the base of the hill. Can't even remember the name at the moment. I've never walked downstream from the park, but I heard it's a 45 minute walk. The only time I walked in was when my friend's old style Subaru couldn't snow plow any further, so we got out, put on our waders and walked over half way in. Caught a ride back down in a friend's sled and had to walk up to where we left the car in the snow.

As for time of day, I've caught just as many steelhead there in the middle of the day as I have at daylight and dusk even tho I've fished it early and late as many or more times. That was one fishy piece of water before the 95-96 floods. I only fish it now when I have my boat along.

Sg

·
guide fish don't count
599 Posts
yes they are that is their territory and I wouldn't recommend walking in there anymore since a friend of mine got mauled by two of them this fall and can't cast a fly rod anymore because they took both of his arms off. The owners died in the house so not only is the area haunted but the dogs still hang around not getting fed but feeding on newbie spey fisherman who flash fresh cork up the hill. Just saying...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.