Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wednesday night I checked the weather channel; Thursday - rain & gusts of wind....at 25 mph. If I was steelheading no problem, but I'm taking my new 4 wt B IIx out on a small river. That kind of wind can turn a day off, into an off day. Hmm....what do I do. I've been looking forward to this trip for months. I considered going to work and saving my day off for "more favorable" conditions. Ah heck, maybe it won't be that bad, famous last words. Besides, maybe I'll get a pic of a rattlesnake or two. I just bought my first camera 2 weeks ago and thought I'd prove to folks just how many rattlers are really out there. Two years ago, two went right over my left boot while I was crouched down check'n out a big beetle, one had 9 rattles the other 11. Really wish I had a camera then - I didn't even have a cell phone yet! These days everyone has either a cell phone, iphone or some other gadget to take a pic and no one believes you anymore without a pic to prove it. That's why I finally gave in and got a camera. :hmmm:

Anyway, the day started out perfect. High hazy cloud cover with just a slight breeze. Again, the weather man was wrong. Boy, that's the job I need....wrong half the time and still keep your job. I make a couple of casts and snag a rock on the bottom. I wanted to fish drys but didn't see any feeders yet. So I make a few more casts and get a pretty good whack. One more cast....fish on...fish off, felt like a decent sized one but didn't get to see it. Walked up a bit and tried another spot. First cast, another rock.....I think. I say that because, well, I've actually caught rocks before. But I swear, this time it just felt different. Well, no matter - hook comes out. Kinda weird though. I know there's bigger than average fish in there because I've caught them before and lost a few as well, but that one....I don't know.

After figuring out the depth and retrieve needed, I started picking up fish. Most of the bows were pushing 20" with a few smaller ones in the mid teens, but boy were they fat! The browns felt like, hmm...snags at first, imagine that. They weren't as plentiful, or maybe they were, but the ones that I caught were noteworthy. I lost a couple at the bank that were real big, but that's how it goes sometimes.

All in all, pretty good day. Sorry I don't have more pics, half the time I forgot that I even had a camera...still trying to get use to that. Besides, they pretty much all look the same anyway. That, and trying to take a pic by yourself with a fish you can barely pic up with one hand makes it tough. I'm ok with that problem though. One of the browns measured a scoche longer than 1 section of my 4 pc. I guess that's in the 20+" range. But it sure made me think about those ones I lost, and the "snags" that seemed to move. :clown:
Sorry that the files are so big on a couple of them. My wife showed me how to size them and, well I forgot how to do it.

The only bummer parts to the day, I lost my net (useless with those fish anyway), and I never could catch up with the rattle'rs....those buggers are fast!

Out of curiosity, I went and measured the markings on my rod a few minutes ago. It's only a couple weeks old, so I hadn't got the chance to do that yet. Turns out what I thought to be around 17-18" actually measured 20". Which means those bows were a bit bigger than I originally posted. And one section of a 4 pc rod (ready for this...I didn't even have to use a calculator)- 9' or (108") /4 = 27". I know, I know, you're impressed...... with my math skills of course.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like piggies!!! Try throwing a mouse in the evening... You'll never be the same... I still
have nightmares!!!
I actually thought of that. As I was leaving around sunset, I saw a brownie roll for something. Can't say what it was, but it was big.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Nice report.........only next time, try keeping the fish in the water instead of laying on the grass...........doesn't breathe too well and will probably die. Just food for thought.
Im sure the fishies are just fine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thought about going back today to "look for my net". With the water flow where it is it might be in The Dalles by now! Holy crap that was a lot of rain! I least I don't have to wash the Tahoe now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Blake! Thought I may have spooked you off with my last steelhead story. I got me a camera now....takes the "I call BS!" out of it now. :clown:

Anyway, I am a complete cumputur dork, don't text or any of that cool stuff. Could you save me some time ........uh, what does TOAD mean? Sorry I had to ask...:hmmm:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Beautiful fish, real hawgs. One suggestion: if your camera doesn't have a telephoto lens, just let the snakes be. The vast majority of snake bites occur when people are bugging the snakes to "get a picture of it".

Thanks for the great report.
Ya,...I hear you, and you're right. I use to breed snakes for $, and grew up with them. I know my way around snakes. I don't mean to sound arrogant or cocky, just that I'm comfortable around these critters. I hope that comes across the right way. Funny thing thing is, I think they really can sense fear. I've been up close with a few rattle'rs and all have just tried to get away - no pic. Although, those two that rolled over my foot a couple years back got my heart beat up. I'm not stupid....no Steve Irwin here - that guy was nuts! I just like snakes, scorpions, spiders, etc... I don't piss them off, I just like look'n at them up close. However, that being said, bees are a whole different thing. I hate bees!

I still can't get over the fact that I just bought a camera to take pics of snakes and end up with my personal best on a 4 wt.

I wonder how many here have experienced a similar fate. Get a camera to take a pic of _________ , and end up getting a pic of __________ !

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
Great report and pics If I could catch a couple of those I could almost die happy.

·
Wanderer
1,206 Posts
Christ on a Crutch!

One question: In Washington?

I am taking it as my mission to catch something besides cutts and rainbows in washington this summer. Unless it's a Westslope Cutt, which I haven 't found yet but I plan to do some exploring for soon.

Thanks for the pics and report. Awesome fish.

Jason

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.