Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased the book Modern Midges by Rick Takahashi. Very impressed with the quality, pictures and format of the book. With spiral bound it will be easy to read and use at the bench.
Question is do you tie flies because they look good to you or because they catch fish? So many flies look great to me, but will they catch fish in the lakes I go to. Although I dont fish saltwater or rivers some of the ties you guys do are amazing. I plan to study and read this and other books indepth, but just wondered if they are flies that catch me instead of the fish.:hmmm:
So many variations and ideas of different materials to use. This could get addictive as fishing with them.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I also got the book and know I'll use a lot. For me, just seeing the various ties is great.
I'm tagging quite a few of them and can't wait to hit the vise in time for the spring fishing.

·
card shark
2,315 Posts
Effectivenss of a fly, tied with style, is what I look for, whether from books or watching advanced tyers. I'm always looking for better ways to solve problems with flys I already have attempted to tie that display aspects of the aquatic prey I think the fish flash on to most. Most times I see a new style of a fly I already use and it just clicks, and I get that 'oh ya I get it' feeling about the fly, or it doesn't and I pass on it. I'm just starting into midges though, so I'll have to take a look at "Modern Midges".

·
Registered
2 Posts
What works one place will often work in others if adjustments are made in the color and size to be more close in representing the naturals in the area you are fishing! As an experienced tyer, I too, look more at the puzzle of making something work when applied to a hook! I have some who will laugh at the confidence I'll express while tying a new fly! They just don't get IT! To me, there is a natural connecting to a fly; my success with that fly starts way before I put the first rap of thread on the hook. I have the vision of the critter I'm working to imitate from all the study that I have done; past fishing experiences and understanding of the fish, the "bate" and even all of the other people that may be on the stream that day! Are the fish pressured? What behavior do they present with the weather of the day? how much food appears to be available? Is my fly, as I tied it.... As I approach the water.... as I present it.... Does all of this add up to at last, equal the need of the fish to invest its time and energy to take this bit of something as food?
As you study this book, take the time to also look at "bug guide books" for the area you fish. Which of the flies in the book look "something" like that what is in your waters? Size? color? expected action? Can you get it where the fish will be and to where they will most likely accept it as a "natural"?
Then... do you have or can you develop the skill to tie the fly correctly? What will be "close enough"? Materials on hand? Go buy some or substitute?
Take time to learn from all of your available resources, then Go for it!
We only have as many different "solutions" to this puzzle because folks like you and I take the time to "experiment" with what we have to offer a solution!
FliTrap

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.