Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Montana State

My son is considering Montana State University in Bozeman and we are planning a trip there this summer in early to mid July. If anyone has any suggestions for good floats for intermediate rowers within an hour or so drive of Bozeman I would appreciate some input. I hope to stay for a week and experience some new rivers and great scenery.

Thanks for any help in advance.
:beer1:
Any good micro breweries in the area?

·
youngish old guy
369 Posts
Great choice in schools! Class of 98 and 01. I suggest you float the Yellowstone anywhere above Livingston, lots of choices. Madison too, but kind of a gong show below Beartrap Cyn. Big Sky brewery is (or was) in Missoula. There must be some new breweries since I left. It used to be Spanish Peaks only but they sold out. Its funny how parents are always as happy as the students at MSU especially if they're outdoorsy.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Class of '03 alum here....A float on the Yellowstone above Livingston would probably be your best bet or the Upper Madison. The upper is a bit more than an hour from Bozeman but still fairly close. At that time of year the Lower Madison is chock full of yo-yo's floating down the river on anything that holds air and beer so I'd scratch that. As far as local breweries go...the Bozeman Brewery in Bozeman and the Madison River Brewery in Belgrade are the two local brew houses and both offer some great brews! Big Sky brewery is in Missoula.

Josh

·
dirty dog
5,326 Posts
My son lives in Bozeman and just loves it there.
I would say you can pick just about any blue line on the map and have a good time fishing.
After your son gets settled in PM me and I'll give you my sons contact info and the boys can hook it up.

·
Registered
41 Posts
EGADS! Friends don't let friends become bobcats, so a dad should not let his son become one either. Just Jokin'. I am Griz through and through but both schools are awesome. And I like both towns. There is a little disparity in football teams though.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
As Gary already mentioned. Just pick a blue line on a map, find a place to access it, and go fishing. The Bozeman area is chalk full of very fine fishing. And the amount of good river and stream fishing within an hour of Bozeman can be staggering to those who have never been there. Plus, you are going to be there at the beginning of prime time.

The Galatin is literally in the back yard of Bozeman, the Yellowstone just over the hill in Livingston, the Jefferson is 30 mi. west at Three Forks, the lowe Madison is 30 mi. away on the road to Ennis, the Middle Madison is 45 mi away at Ennis. Plus there are numerous small streams within 30-45 mi. of Bozeman that are excellent fisheries. And Yellowston Park is a shade over an hour away as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.