Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new raft should be finished by June. This will be my first full summer in Bozeman,MT. There plenty of bigger rivers to float Madison,Yellowstone,Missouri, and so forth. Any one have suggestions for smaller rivers to float ? So far I've read about the ruby and Stillwater river.

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
I don't think you can float the Ruby. It flows through a lot of private property. Where there is PP there will be fences across the river.

The Beaverhead is a smaller river, it gets floated damn near all year around.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I don't think you can float the Ruby. It flows through a lot of private property. Where there is PP there will be fences across the river.

The Beaverhead is a smaller river, it gets floated damn near all year around.
I've not fished the Ruby so zero knowlege of it from me. But I'm a bit surprised to hear this about the fences OMJ. Does it not fall within the Montana access laws?

·
Registered
653 Posts
I've not fished the Ruby so zero knowlege of it from me. But I'm a bit surprised to hear this about the fences OMJ. Does it not fall within the Montana access laws?
The problem with the Ruby is access. Read about Kennedy and the Seyler Bridge court case, was decided at the MT Supreme Court level but still could end up at SCOTUS. Don't think fences across the river is the problem, if anyone put a fence across the river to block access it would become a huge legal issue.

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
I don't know. But the creek isn't float able. It's just a creek out in the hills.

Due to no access in the Valley, I go up into the National Forest to fish the Ruby. Better fishing up there and nobody to bother you except the cattle that wander around up there in the summer months. The fish aren't huge up there but I'm not a big fish Fly Fisher.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I don't know. But the creek isn't float able. It's just a creek out in the hills.

Due to no access in the Valley, I go up into the National Forest to fish the Ruby. Better fishing up there and nobody to bother you except the cattle that wander around up there in the summer months. The fish aren't huge up there but I'm not a big fish Fly Fisher.
Ah. Got it. I guess I'd just assumed it was bigger than it actually is. I'll have to get down there and explore one of these days. Thanks.

·
Registered
653 Posts
One of the biggest river access a-holes in MT is Ted Turner. Another bleeding heart liberal who wants to do so many wonderful things for society...just don't cross his land to reach water! Former access areas granted by previous owners are now blocked. His ranches on the upper Ruby and the Red Rock to name two of them...

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
One of the biggest river access a-holes in MT is Ted Turner. Another bleeding heart liberal who wants to do so many wonderful things for society...just don't cross his land to reach water! Former access areas granted by previous owners are now blocked. His ranches on the upper Ruby and the Red Rock to name two of them...
And every time I go past his ranch I flip him the bird. I wonder how pissed he gets when the Co. road goes through his property and people drive up and down it.

·
Registered
8,817 Posts
But wait. Ted Turner was named Angler of the Year by Fly Rod & Reel magazine a few years back. Why not take him for a float in your new boat @802flyfish, and see if we could name him Swimmer of the Year?
I just wish he would keep his "bison" off the Robb Ledford wildlife management area. Why? Because a lot of that land was bought by the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation to be used as much needed wintering habitat for deer and elk. Read what the local bios say and they talk about overgrazing being a primary problem.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.