Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Moved out west from the south, and brought my "junk" flies with me. They work, and people don't fish 'em here as much. If it makes you feel better, the mop fly resembles a cranefly larvae. Not sure how big they get out here, but the big ones out east looks pretty much like a brown or cream mop fly with a black dubbing head.

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
Jim F. - what hook(s) and size(s)?
Where to get the "mop" material?
Those are all tied on scud hooks - most are size 12, but there are a couple 10's in there.

I just started looking at Target/WalMart/every such store I went into for mop refills, car wash mitts, dusting slippers/dusters, etc. I bought my Rain*X de-fogger at an auto parts store & also ordered some stuff for cheap from Amazon. Some fly shops sell 10 packs for way too much money, so I went scrounging. White was the most difficult to find, but the others were readily available. Dubbing-in a little bunny fur at the head of the fly adds more movement & imparts a real "buggy" look when wet. I'd think these would be a killer for stream trout following a rain and during high water in the spring.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Those are all tied on scud hooks - most are size 12, but there are a couple 10's in there.

I just started looking at Target/WalMart/every such store I went into for mop refills, car wash mitts, dusting slippers/dusters, etc. I bought my Rain*X de-fogger at an auto parts store & also ordered some stuff for cheap from Amazon. Some fly shops sell 10 packs for way too much money, so I went scrounging. White was the most difficult to find, but the others were readily available. Dubbing-in a little bunny fur at the head of the fly adds more movement & imparts a real "buggy" look when wet. I'd think these would be a killer for stream trout following a rain and during high water in the spring.
I picked up the dog at the groomer yesterday and they had quite an array for drying dogs, etc. I was tempted but most were big enough to be a several lifetime supply. The tag on one of them claimed it absorbed 7 times its weight in water.

·
dead drifting into thread drift
5,759 Posts
dollar store for several colors, found a few more on ebay direct from the source (China).

I'm still looking for a super cheap off-white/light tan color.

They work all of the time...used one a couple of February's ago to impress my son on the Deschutes (it was a total called shot--that shit never happens!). Then went on to catch a half dozen fish within a 25' section of water in about 20-30 min...water was cold & clear.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.