Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm a bit of a fly line fan... For 6wt alone I have Trout LT, Superdri Elite, Streamer Express, and Superdri Mend. I have two 6wt reels, and don't really feel like forking over $250 in spools.

What do you guys do to keep lines when not spooled up? I'm looking for something to keep 5 or 6 lines in my gear bag. The Rio Headcase looks nice, but seems stupid for $50.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If it's a line I am very likely to use at least a few times per season, I often store it on a Cabela's Windriver reel which are on sale for $20-25 constantly. Bought five reels in different sizes for $100. Cheaper than an extra spool and serviceable enough, especially on smaller rods where I don't need a good drag anyway. Keep my best lines I use most often on good reels of course. Leftover lines back on spools so I know what it is.

·
Anywhere ~ Anytime
1,613 Posts
You could pick up a RIO 'Cranky' and toss in a couple old spools to work off of in conjunction to Porters sandwich bag plan. RIO spools lock and wont separate like others, significant if you've ever had a line 2/3 the way transferred when spool split in two. Rig something to create a little slack space between spool and line, then split spool, bread / pipe cleaner tie, place in bag. The slack created will allow you to put them back on the spools arbor later with zero pain involved and easily load on reel.. painlessly.

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
Why not keep the original spool they come on?
It's kind of bulky, and they usually just fall apart.
I use the spools that they come in, and the boxes. I just use a small machine screw and nut, to hold the spool together.

I have about 15 or so extra lines in boxes in a cabinet, carry 8 others on spools with me.

·
Registered
7,329 Posts
I use the spools that they come in, and the boxes. I just use a small machine screw and nut, to hold the spool together.

I have about 15 or so extra lines in boxes in a cabinet, carry 8 others on spools with me.
I carry a few extra lines in zip lock bags that I've hand twisted (figure 8 style) - when I do it right, the lines don't tangle when I respool them on a reel, uh, usually then don't tangle..... Do you just spin them up by hand?

·
Make my day
4,820 Posts
Reactions: SilverFly

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
I carry a few extra lines in zip lock bags that I've hand twisted (figure 8 style) - when I do it right, the lines don't tangle when I respool them on a reel, uh, usually then don't tangle..... Do you just spin them up by hand?
I use a cordless drill, with a 1/4" X 3" toggle bolt (sandwiching the spool).

Reactions: Buzzy

·
Anywhere ~ Anytime
1,613 Posts
I'm looking for something to keep 5 or 6 lines in my gear bag. The Rio Headcase looks nice, but seems stupid for $50.
If it's a case your after just shop similar ones built for soft plastic Bass baits.. lot of them out there.

To work with you only need two (self locking) line spools. One to hold the line your removing and another to re-load line of preference.

·
Registered
532 Posts
So I'm a bit of a fly line fan... For 6wt alone I have Trout LT, Superdri Elite, Streamer Express, and Superdri Mend. I have two 6wt reels, and don't really feel like forking over $250 in spools.

What do you guys do to keep lines when not spooled up? I'm looking for something to keep 5 or 6 lines in my gear bag. The Rio Headcase looks nice, but seems stupid for $50.
Why not buy the airflo version?
http://www.airflofishing.com/buy.cfm/luggage/airflo-outlander-shooting-head-wallet/75/no/64359

·
Yep
54 Posts

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
Actually Kyle, I have a gear bag where the bottom unzips for all of your reels (10).

I got it on closeout from ...eh um...(cough, cough) Cabela's. $29

I can't find a link to show you a pic, but it's an IK-32-1590 Fly Reel Gear Bag.

I absolutely love the thing. I think I catch more fish because I have it. Well, at least I can keep my crap organized.

Reactions: Dewayne

·
Registered
4,981 Posts

Zipper style sandwich bags with labels. Use a struble

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.