Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

Do you prefer morning or evening hatch?

• Morning (lets say until 2:00pm)

• Evening

• Coin Flip

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had two fly shops here in WA sporting those names; always wondered if Jack and Gary secretly wished they had the others moniker. I like both of them and spent a fair amount of time in both shops over the years -- but liked The Morning Hatch store better.

But I digress. Which is your preference when it comes to the favorite time of day for fishing the hatch? Certainly that depends a great deal on time of year and region/waters being fished, but as a general rule, I like the evening hours and, in particular, that magic last 20-30 minutes before they shutdown. But that preference isn't by a whole lot however... mornings are pretty awesome too.

·
Banned
1,626 Posts
Yes

·
Banned
10,660 Posts
Tough one but I'm going to lean towards morning. I'm a morning guy to start with and love being the first one on the river and watching the sunrise on the water. I've had stellar days being the first one down only to hear that others behind us struggled on the same stretch.

But this is like having to choose between midnight or sky blue.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
If it were up to me, I'd say morning. I'm up and ready to get at it. But the fish rarely cooperate. I can usually find a couple to ease myself into the day.

But if the object is to catch fish, the couple of hours before dark is when it all comes together. Bugs, shadows, fish.

·
Registered
8,817 Posts
The Madison in early to mid July has some awesome early morning caddis and pmd hatches. 6AM can be money time. Get your fishing in while everyone is waiting for the stoneflies to take to the air.. It's so funny to see guys running around lobbing indicators during the best dry fly fishing of the year.

·
Should be OlympiaFarq now...
436 Posts
I prefer to fish in the morning, but the catching is usually better in the evening. Like @Swimmy said, I love being the first one out there and the mornings always seem more peaceful in general. However, I tend to get more luck in the 30-60 minutes just before it gets too dark to see than I will in an entire pre-noon half day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.