Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to check out Morse Creek this weekend, I think (gotta check the regs first). Anyone been out that way and seen anything? How about other Port Angeles-area fisheries?

I might want to give the salt a go, but I've never done it on this coast. Any pointers?

Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I never thought I'd see a post on Morse creek. I would also try the Lyre river if your in the area. I remember riding my bike to Morse creek as a kid and catching steelhead over christmas break. If the flows aren't too high the Elwha can be good for some hatchery fish. Talk to Dave at Waters West flyshop for up to date info.

·
Banned
177 Posts
I drove over Morse yesterday, and it looked good. Don't know about the fishing, though, as access is somewhat limited. The Dungeness was clear, and I heard there were a few fish in it. That river used to have an early run of really, really big natives.

Don't know about the Elwha, but when I was talking to Dave in the shop, he said that there were some fish in the upper Sol Duc, and the water there should be in good shape. However, according to the weather geeks on the tube last night, it was raining again in the West End.

The salt has been really, really rough with the series of storms and heavy winds. Don't know anyone who has been out, but there should be cutts around as well as the odd steelhead.

Good luck,

Keith

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Damn! Just when you think you have a secret spot or two, somebody puts up a post on it! Morse is a cool little creek and does have some fish in it. Saw a five pound buck taken from it a year or so ago
Gear man.
I tried to fish it, but from what I've seen, it is really not fly water. I've never fished the mouth. Let us now how you do and please
release any fish brought to hand. Morse is too fragile to take much of a hit. :THUMBSUP
BOBLAWLESS

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been out of state and away from a computer for the past week, but here's the late update on Morse Creek. Fished the mouth on the 23rd and 24th and got skunked. Didn't even see a fish. Waded upstream a bit but it was tough going with my 10 foot 8 weight and all the brush. Still nothing. I don't know if the fish weren't there or I didn't have the skill to catch them. Oh well, it was nice to be outside and the weather was pleasant.

I've caught fish there in the summer, so I know it's possible. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.