Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been fishing for over 50-years in the Smoky Mountains, NC and VA.

I've never been out west, so I want to plan a fishing trip for next summer.

I've caught and released lots of fish in my many years of fishing, so catching fish will not be my main priority at all.

I want to go on the most scenic float trip out west... I hear Henry's Fork is good, but what's the best scenic float trip a guy can take?

Don't be shy... let me know. (got any pictures?)

·
Moving to FL
598 Posts
If you're looking for the "most scenic float trip out west" and fishing isn't a priority, then you may want to consider posting in other forums too. I've done some spectacularly scenic floats but then I'm sure there are many others I haven't considered because of the fishing opportunities (or lack thereof) that most would consider more scenic. Also, I guess it depends on what you consider scenic (desert vs. rainforest, presence of wildlife, degree of solitude, etc). For me, it’s hard to beat some of our desert rivers in the fall.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
As Joepa said - lots to choose from - too much in fact.

For classics and a variety of terrain / scenery the Middle fork of the Salmon is hard to beat. You start in sub-alpine and go into desert over a six day period. Check out Adventure Sun Valley. Brad pays his guys the best, so he gets the top guides. I used to guide for him and he runs a tight ship with top food & gear.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My vote would be for the South Fork of the Flathead above Spotted Bear. Great scenery and fishing along with solitude for the most part. The middle fork of the Flathead out of Shaffer Meadows is another good one that combines views and fishing.

·
Fish or Ski...Fish or ski....fish!
218 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yeah, the Rogue is a classic float. Beautiful canyon. Here's a photo of me and my buddy shooting Rainie Falls. It looks photoshopped but there actually was a huge salmon jumping up through the falls when we were coming down.

·
Remember when you could remember everything?
7,182 Posts
There's too many variables in your question for a definitive answer. Are you planning on a DIY self-guided trip or do you intend to use an outfitter? How long do you plan to spend on the water? What's your skill level in dealing with serious whitewater? Do you want to fish for trout or is your heart set on fishing for steelhead? The answer to all these questions will help narrow down your choices and alternatives.

In terms of sheer beauty, it'd be hard to top Montana's Smith River in May or June.

K

·
Formerly tbc1415
3,179 Posts
Smith River, Montana.
A lottery controlled river but if you're lucky enough its a knock out for scenery.

TC

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
If scenerey is important, and you've never been out west, I'd throw a vote out there for the olympic peninsula, specifically the Hoh or even the Sol Duc. Can't compete with most of the suggestiosn fishing wise, but rainforest is something everyone should experience if given the chance. Breathtakingly beautiful out there. Says me anyhow.

·
A fish out of water
33 Posts
Just got back last week from 6 weeks drfit boating and rafting rivers in Wa. Or. Id. & Mt. Did the Yakima, Lower Deschutes, Clark Fork, Bitterroot, Big Hole, Madison, Yellowstone, North Fork Flathead and the Middle Fork Salmon. Preferred the Upper Big Hole above Wise River. Why the Big Hole? Serenity and the the friendliest fly fishing habitat of them all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.