1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
This is my first post. Anyone have a picture
or a link for a big brown moth pattern? The cutts were
hammering them last night on the beach near bremerton. We caught a couple of nice ones on big salmon fly dries with a few adjustments(the closest thing in my box). It seemed like all the hook ups we had were to rises where they'd grab 1 or 2 moths in a row and you could get your fly there in a hurry. If they had a chance to glance at the fly they didn't seem too interested. Must be that orange body. I was gonna try to improvise tomorrow afternoon but thought a little guidance would help. I can't wait for tonight's moth hatch!

·
Les Johnson
1,590 Posts
Were you close to a stream entrance? It sounds like you were seeing evening caddis (October caddis) but I've never heard of them bouncing around in the salt. However, nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to fishing along the beach for cutthroat.
In years past there were a lot of flies around called millers (White Miller, Brown Miller, etc.), which would be a moth. This is interesting.

Les Johnson

·
Registered
18 Posts
Les,

I believe these are Spuce Moths and this is an epidemic year for them. On the Hood the SRC"s are now taking them with vengence. It took over a week for the fish to get use to them on the water and the Salmon smolts were actually first to start playing with these moths. These moths fly out of trees usually in the evening just before dark and flutter on the water for long periods of time before getting too tired to fly anymore. Fish are now chasing them across water. Moths are almost same color as October Caddis and same size as our Snake River OC's. So any Wakers in that design are doing the trick I'll let everyone figure out how to fish them on flat water more fun learning.
OC
Steve Wrye.

·
Registered
615 Posts
here ya go...

I too have found out about these "moths". I was fishing a small creek on the Kitsap Penninsula yesterday with mainly a lot of small 6-8" cutts. Anyways, i saw some moths fluttering on the water, and one moved right up into a little eddy of sorts, I couldn't believe the explosion of water I saw underneath it. I don't know if this will help since I don't have a picture, but this fly that i tie to imitate a hopper worked like a charm and I picked up that 13" brute.

sz. 12 3x long hook (like one of those natural bend ones)
white rubber legs
dubbed yellow body with palmered brown hackle
now, i take some brown foam and shape it like a wing for a hopper and tie it down in the front
the next part I add is right on top of the foam is a bunch of krystal flash, i saw this done on another fly before and supposedly the flash makes it look like it's fluttering!!!! then i pull back the excess foam protruding out the front and tie it down to form a bullet shape head

I'm in port orchard, wondering which of the beaches you hit????? Sounds like I might have to try for my first SRC!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
moh,
Thanks for the post, I was paddling around 7:30 last night around the Narrows and saw hundreds of the moths above and on the water as well. Many of the smolts were hitting them on the surface and there were some bigger splashes. What I would assume are SRC. Most of the moths seem to be closer to shore under the over hanging trees. My fly rod will have to make a trip with me this weekend. Looking at the color of the moths I thought a CDC caddis pattern may work well. I will let you all know how it goes.
B-rad

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
here ya go...

Thanks, I'll try something like that deer moth
(maybe darker), minus the mink of course. What - do they think we're rich or something? Hey just think how fat those cutts are gonna get eating all them moths. High in calories! We should get something worthwhile from this plague this summer. All the trees will be dead but the fishing will be fun.

·
Registered
615 Posts
here ya go...

Yeah, at the creek I saw 6" cutts jumping completely out of the water for these moths, and they are pretty big, maybe my fish will grow :rofl Fish I caught were pretty chunky.

·
Patrick
1,805 Posts
here ya go...

Mink is not that bad in price. I picked up a small 2" square at Salmon Bay in Seattle for only a dollar or two but have not ever made use of it yet. I might have to try it now though so thank for the idea. I am planning on hitting the Salt this weekend somewhere around Des Moines if everything works out so I may have to tie some of those Moths up tonight.

·
Registered
804 Posts
here ya go...

I bet they are tent caterpillar moths from the caterpillar invasion the past 2 summers. This years crop now coming out to mate and lay eggs. I can't leave my windows open and lights on at night with out hundreds of them invading my house.....yuck. They are very distinctive with their body shape and fuzzy heads and antennae.

http://www.pbase.com/image/2915631

I would think an bushy elk hair caddis might do the trick.

Jim W

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Everywhere!

Those moths are everywhere! I don't know what they are- heavy bodied, clumsy fliers. Light grey/white wings. My car grill is filled with them from driving back from Forks Wed night. They are also all over my house in Seattle- had about 30 on my screen door last night under the porch light. Are these the adults from the tent caterpillar invasion?

Edit-- Surf Candy-- that's IT! Thanks.

Found this photo in addition: http://elib.cs.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?enlarge=9092+3191+3540+0048

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
They are indeed Spruce Moths and they are having a banner year. I have had good success twitching a big fluffy Brown Stimulator and a big October caddis, both in tawny brown to Cinnamon in color. A dry muddler would work fine too, just grease up a unweighted muddler and wiggle the heck out of the thing. You want to recreate that little strugling "vibrato" wake the moths make as they atempt to climb up out of the water. The cutties were eating them last night at sunset and it reminded me of sunset on the Missouri with big browns slurping dry flies into the night.

·
Rebel, Truth Seeker
112 Posts
I was fishing a beach in Tacoma the other day with another guy from this site, and I had heard that there have been some SRCs, but we weren't finding any. I was throwing about a big black and tan muddler and stripping it in, but I was lighting a smoke before and my fly had drifted down by a rock. I started stripping in and thought I was snagged on a rock, but the rock was alive. I lost it, because I was shocked. Any how, I'm going on to say that I wsa dead drifting a big muddler and there weren't a whole lot of moths on the water at that beach, but I had seen a bunch on the other side of the bay and I'm guessing that's what the fish thought it was biting into.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
My wife said that she heard somewhere that these moths tend to come by every 16 years or so. There might be some the next few years and then nothing until the trees recover (evolution).
So eat it up. "You don't know what you've got till it's gone (old hippy song about conservation) "They paved over paradise and made it a parking lot. Dodee dodee."
Bobert:thumb :thumb :thumb

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.