Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The idea for this bracket came from Waterstrider, but I changed the mounting system significantly. Cost was $42 and total weight just over 4 lbs. I used an 11x15x1/2 inch piece of C-Board [Tap Plastic]. The straps, 1/4 inch threaded rod and hardware came from Tacoma Screw. A slot was cut to allow the D-ring to fit through the board. The small piece of plastic was a schedule 40 'T' cut to fit snugly through the D-ring and the board: a small bolt on top of the 'T' and a quick release pin for the bottom. The threaded rods fit through the small d-rings on top...I used some small water hose on both to make a tight fit. Once I got the length correct, nylocks and large area washers were used on both ends. To install: the rods are pushed through the d-rings, fit the large d-ring through the board and push the plastic down through the d-ring and secure with the pin. Run the straps through the Large D-rings that are just above the seat and tighten, takes a minute to do. I first installed the 2 lower D-rings for my anchor bracket and they really are the "secret" for this design being rock solid...the straps pull against the rods. I just bought a 'like new' 25 lb. thrust Motor Guide that weighs 17lbs and it doesn't wobble a bit. I swiveled the control head of the electric motor 180 degrees so I have 5 speeds in reverse...we fish that direction and the raft actually goes faster backwards. I wired a 5' long on/off switch and a couple of very small ropes through the d-rings for steering, so I only have to reach the motor to change speeds. I use three 14 amp. batteries in a rubbermaid container [crudely modified]and the cooler fits right on top and doubles as a seatback. Sorry if this became longwinded, but it's really a 'How To' for Abel/Wilderness Access/Waterstrider owners who are welcome to PM me for questions. It was a lot of fun and at times frustrating coming up with this design, the construction was the easy part. Fred.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been pleased with the way it works except for one thing: in my effort to make it 'rock solid', that is not moving side to side, I put undo stress on the 1/4 inch threaded rods. During a so called ' high speed and tight turn', I bent one of the rods. I thought of using 5/16 or 3/8 rods but I just bought a couple more 1/4 inch rods. Now I just don't cinch the straps down as tight.....the bracket does have some movement, but once the motor is on, it still doesn't move when turning.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.