Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the Water Master owners,
I am thinking of putting an electronic trolling motor on my Kodiak for lake fishing. I was wondering if it would be worth the effort and cost to get around on still waters. If I do, I will try to build the frame myself. Any experience on using a motor on an inflatable? Any recommendation for the motor and battery?

Thanks in advance.

Ted

·
Registered
112 Posts
You might try Dave Inks at the Waterstrider web site. He has a motor mount that works pretty well. Fits on the smaller of the watermaster boats - not the big one. I ould look at buying a motor with a remote control so that you are not going through all kinds of gyrations trying to drive in the wind. They make units that strap to your wrist.

·
Old And In The Way
250 Posts
I was thinking it may be fun to put a 40 hp jet on it ;-)
I had an 11' aluminum floored Zodiac (one of the red ones with a thick wood transom) a few years back. Normally I used a 10HP Johnson on it, but since it was rated for something like 50HP, one day we put my buddy's 25HP Merc on it.

It was like getting shot out of a cannon. Wouldn't go straight more than momentarily because only about the last 6" of the bottom was touching the water.

We put the 10 back on it PDQ.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't imagine even putting a 2HP on the WM. I am thinking more like 30 or 40lbs thrust Minn Kota, but, am not sure if it would be practical since I will have to sit sideway to steer. I looked at the remote control version which looks pretty good. If I go that route, I will probably try to build something simple to hold the motor. Wanted to see if anyone has hands on experience running the WM rafts on a small trolling motor.

·
Now fishing on weekdays too!
691 Posts
Ted,

This is what Rich Stuber of BSI has to say (from the BSI Forum):

bigskyinflatabl said:
Hey guys,
We recommend any electric motor but the motor mount will support up to a four horse gas for those who already own one. Electric motors work very well and have more than enough power(36 thrust and up) to do everything from trolling to getting accross the lake and are much cheaper and lighter than gas motors. The deck behind you will easily support the weight of a battery and still leave you room for gear. You can even mount the motor mount to the front of the boat so you can troll the proper direction.

Hope I answered you question.

Rich
Rich Stuber

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.