Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My riding/fishing buddies and I are planning our annual late summer combined motorcycling/camping/fly fishing trip and are looking for some advice--especially from any of you who also like to combine motorcycling on beautiful roads with fly fishing beautiful waters. Last year we did a Boise-Yellowstone-Jackson-Swan Valley-back to Boise trip, fishing the Salmon, the Big Lost, Henry's Fork, Madison, Firehole, Snake and Silver creek. Ran out of time for the Big Wood. This year, we plan on doing Oregon. Yes, I realize this is a Washington forum, but I really like this board and I figured some of you might know Oregon as well as you know Washington.

Our requirements are fairly simple. (1) Scenic byways with absolutely minimal time on the freeway. (2) camping only. (3) everything must fit on the motorbike so nothing bigger than a float tube allowed. (4) no more than 250 miles/day. (5) we have hall passes good for about 9 days and, of course (6) good water! We are considering a guided float for one of the days, but for the most part, this is a wading trip.

Some areas that are we already thinking about (or have been recommended) include East Lake (I fished that years ago and had a great time), the Crooked, the Fall, the Metolius (seems like we have to, right?), and the Donner and Blitzen out of Frenchglen.

We're not looking for holes--just suggestions of general areas that will let us combine our passions for the ride and the fly.

In case you're wondering about last year's trip. I have never been in a spot as beautiful as West Yellowstone, and wading the Firehole was just spectacular. If you haven't been there, go and find yourself a nice campsite on the Madison. We splurged on a guided float on the Snake just outside of Jackson. Can't say enough about Westbank Anglers. First rate. Billy was a helluva guide and put us into some great water. Silver Creek? They are huge. They are everywhere. And they mocked us. Well, we had 4 rods on the water and landed one hawg.

Thanks for any suggestions. If you don't want to pollute the board with Oregon info, just shoot me an email ([email protected]).
Thanks
Jacques

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
You are planning on the dry side it seems, you just get to the edges of the mountains at Fall River and the Metolious but still in the Pines. You skip the Deschutes, which is great but also dry and big and strong. Your tube s will work onEast and Paulina Lakes but only again if you stop off at other lakes.Other Rivers or streams you might try are the Mckenzie not too far beyond the Metolious and the John Day for smallmouth. you don't say when for timiing but I assume that it's spring or Summer. You might skip the lakes, I think they have murcury problems in the fish and you could take other gear to be better equipped. You may have to bring or boil water at many of the dry side camgrounds so be aware. Further south the is the Wiliamson and even Klmathake. What ever you choose have a great time Remember to Check your lic.fees they went up I heard. Formerly from Oregon myself I have yet to fish Washington rivers. If you consider a guided trip at all you might make that on the Deschutes i'm not sure about the others but maybe the Mckenzie.

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
I enjoyed the Chewaucan River greatly. It is really a beautiful area. Head to Paisley. Turnoff is just before you get into Paisley. Fishing was fair. The road to Frenchglen going east from the Antelope Preserve is gravel and I think 60 odd miles or a little more. Could be a little rough on a bike. But the campground at Page Springs is the best! There is a hotel in Frenchglen with good food. It is a nice drive up to the top of the Steens Mountains at 10,000 feet! Beautiful area. The Donner & Blitzen was nice to fish. You can hike in at least 4 miles or more on a beautiful stream. No huge trout, but a few larger fish.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.