Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here used a mouse pattern for browns before and had success? If so, how do you fish them, upstream, down, quarter down, straight across....?

The only time I saw a mouse swim it kinda just "paddled" about, almost like it was drunk. Tough to mimic a drunk mouse.

·
Dues past due
234 Posts
I've had success landing a nice bull trout on the Methow by sinking one deep through a run with an intermediate line. I had my wife set up with the only floater I had so I decided to sink a mouse deep through a run that had skunked me earlier in the day. It turned out to be the nicest fish out of a week long trip. I know I'll always think about rigging that up on those frustrating 'everything but the kitchen sink' kind of days.

Quartered upstream to give it time to sink, then just pulled the slack out of the line, no action on the fly whatsoever. I figured that's what a drowned mouse would be doing- dead drifting.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Truth be known, this pattern is a lot more useful/effective than we take it for. River or lake shouldn't matter. And whether there's a mouse within 50 miles of you also shouldn't matter. If few fish are taken on them it's only because few guys are using them.....then again I could make the same argument for a strip of your shirt sleeve tied to a hook.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Fish them at night. Throw them at the banks and use a steady retrieve, mice rarely swim in pulses, once the current starts to drag on the mouse, let her swing. I love three days before and 3 days after a full moon for the best action, but you can get good action all the way through. Browns are not the only ones who will crush them.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I'm not an expert but try fishing it cross stream, twitching the rod while stripping at a relatively uniform rate allowing it to swing in the current.

Note: once you've been "sharked" by a pig on a mouse, you will never be the same, my friends still tell me in crazy when I bring up the "mouse!"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.