Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heather Lake, Lake Twenty-Two, Bear Lake, Boardman Lake - Anyone have reports to share about these lakes/ponds? I can't seem to find anything other than a few outdated posts on Boardman. I know they are a bit of a hike, but I suspect some of you have been to at least one.

I have my float tube, waders, and plenty of flies stuffed into my backpack ready to go. Any information is much appreciated. Doesn't matter if the fish are small, just looking to hook a couple trout.

Thanks for the help!

-Tim :smokin

· Registered
326 Posts
Get up there and go for it. I've caught trout in pretty much every one of those lakes up there. 22, Boardman(s), Ashland(s), Beaver Plant, Bear, Evan, Kalcema...they've all got fish. None of them have ever been really amazing or anything but always fun and pretty and good exercise. Mostly cutts and rainbows...an occasional brookie maybe.

· Just an Old Man
35,200 Posts
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

Go to washingtonlakes.com and click on Alpine lakes. Do a look thru there as there is a good enough info on a few of the lakes that you are asking about. Even a few topo's on a few of them. Just a little info from an old man.

Jim

· Registered
1 Posts
I have fished Boardman Lake twice and both times I have had good to great fishing. The first time I fished it in the late spring, the fish were eating small (14-16) black knats and the second time in the late fall the fish were eating size 8 royal PMX's skated out from shore. Also try leaches and the like. A float tube or any other backable boat is a must and the hike is fairly short and easy. All of the fish were brookies

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I fished two of these lakes today. Heather and Boardman. Heather was quite a hike in with a 30lb pack on my back. It's about 4 miles round trip with about a mile long trail that circles the lake. I was a bit disappointed as the lake was crystal clear and I could see the bottom pretty much all the way around it. There is a hole up against Mt Pilchuck but there were a bunch of kids hucking rocks into it. I walked on and saw a small pond fed from the lake off to the west side that I saw fish surfacing in. I scooted out onto a fallen log and made a few casts - mostly so I could say that I actually fished it. No luck, though. But it was a gorgeous hike though with awesome views of Pilchuk. I dedcided to hightail it back to my truck and drive up to the trailhead to Boardman. Suprisingly there were only 3 cars in the parking area. This hike is much easier then the Heather trail and I made it up in about 25 minutes. Floated out right off the shore under the campsites and started getting hits almost immediately. Landed a nice 11 inch Cut (which was dark red) shortly after. I trolled around to the far side towards the inlet and had more strikes. I landed another 11 inch Cut almost at the inlet. Groovy. What a great treat after almost 7 miles of hiking. I scooted around the lake and made some more passes where I had caught the others and had more stikes but wasn't ready for them and couldn't get the hook set in time. About 6pm the lake went glass and fish started rising. I switched from the black wolly to a size 18 brassy nymph. Landed one more 11 incher soon after. Trolled some more towards the campsites and it looked like rain was coming in and the sun had gone behind the mountain so I decided to call it a day - and a good one at that! You know, now that I think about it, I wonder if I caught the same fish 3 times - they were all exactly 11 inches!! ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.