Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just heard on the news in Spokane Washington, that some folks are having fun tearing up public lands in the Blue Mountains, with 4WD rigs. They call it Mud Bogging. The muddier your rig is at the end of the race, the more they like it. The problem as I see it, is that type of activity calls for racing your vehicle through low lands with water, where runoff and drainage could cause a major problem with stream clarity, siltation, and the demise of prime habitat for fish and spawning grounds. The good news, is that someone, I didn’t hear who, (Maybe the DNR) was fining these folks as much as $5000 for the destruction of public property. Kudos to whomever is levying these fines. Some folks seem to relish in the idea of destruction of what belongs to someone else, and it is high time that practice stops. This message is not meant to flame, but I’m trying to use it as a message to all that care, “If you see a problem, report it.” If we do nothing, the problem will only get worse.
Yours,
Lotech Joe

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yeah, we have the same problem over here in Naches. They call it: "Muddin', Mudbogging, Braffin', and a bunch of other names. Regardless of its name, its destructive when performed during the Winter, Spring, and early Summer season. Here's the explanation:

Mountain soil profiles are very immature. There really isn't much soil between the top of the ground to the bedrock/sandstone below. For the most part, the soil exists simply because blown silt just happened to rest on the side of a hill. Oftentimes, a tree or grass tries to get its start on this thin layer of silt and its roots ties the soil in place. In patches of ground that don't have fibrous roots to hold the soil in place, the soil goes wherever it wants to. Usually downhill.

When people drive on wet or moist mountain roads, or cut right through the landscape, it frees the silt and the next rain pushes the silt - WHEREVER. Usually Downhill where the river or tributary creek resides. This same silt is what covers the sweet-ass Muddin' Dude's sweet-ass rig. I hope being "sweet-ass" is worth the compromise to the landscape. As a Golfer replaces their divots, I have yet to see a sweet-ass muddin' dude come back to rake and sprinkle wild grasses in their tire tracks..

Sparse

Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by.
(Sir Izaak Walton)

·
Be the guide...
5,190 Posts
Those guys are to 4-Wheelin what snaggers are to fishing. Real 4X4 enthusiasts "tread lightly" - kinda like C&R in our fishing world. Low impact but still finding ways to enjoy your 'sport'.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

Well I got up late and drove up to the N/Fork of the Stilly and nobody was catching anything. So I just did what I usually do,go exploring. I drove over to a small creek I know about but it was just as low as last summer and it didn't have any fish then so I left from there and went to another small creek and hit the upper portion but alas nothing. From there I went to the lower portion and got all my gear on and went into the water and all I came up with was a small fish and it was a LDR. I've checked out about 15 different places to fish in the last few days and every place I went the water was still high.

I've waited 3 months for my favorite type of fishing and it all sucks. You would think that with the small snow pack that there was that every thing would be in prime shape. But oh no the late snow is slow in melting.

I think last year at this time you couldn't get over Barlow pass. Well there is no snow up there to speak of and I went up and over about a month ago. So if there is no more snow to melt,where is all the water coming from.

Jim

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Craig

A buttzero is as follows: You get someone like a mud boggyer and you point him away from you. He bends over and when you check his butt, you notice a zero. That is a buttzero fair and square. Oh. I forget to say that you both should be naked for this observation to happen. Never do this in a public place.
Bab:+

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
REOld Man

Your'e right, Jim. Sounds stupid to me, but it's what you have to do to find out what a buttzero is all about.
Don't try it, you'll freak out. Your'e too old for this kind of cranberry stuff. Me too.
B. :beer2

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.