Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Fellas- got a question for you guys. Was out fishing yesterday. Had a prime spot, everything was there, cover, oxygen, food. So I knew there had to be a fish or two. Ok, so I threw some drys, nothing. Changed to nymphs, nothing. Put on some wolly buggers, in different colors, nothing. So then I try a muddler.....WHAM. What are these things supposed to imitate?

Thanks in advance for any info.....

flogger

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

I think that it's supposed to imitate a sculpin. All streams have them it's just that you don't see them all the time. And they come in all colors. I was bushwacking one time in my youth and came across this little creek and in the shallows there sat one,heck the water wasn't any deeper than the first joint on my finger.

Jim

·
Registered
953 Posts
A dark brown muddler imitates a sculpin, especially if you trim the deer hair into a shovel head.

A light muddler floating on the surface looks a lot like a grasshopper or even a stonefly. Bill McMillan's Steelhead Caddis is nothing much more than a muddler with a dubbed orange or brown body.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Hey fellas,

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. What do want to do? Clean out all the fish in this state? Don't say that muddlers imitate anything and everything. Keep this on the hush.
Remember that there guys from England lurking around this site. They are a nasty gang and we don't want them to get a foothold in here.
When I'm dialed in with muddlers (usually) and nicking them left and right and somebodys asks, "Hey, whatcha yousein?" I always say, "Oh, it's just some brown thing that I tied up from some old odds and ends."
Bbob:beer2

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the word "muddler" is a nickname for a bullhead. I recall reading a history of the fly, and that was the local name in Ontario (?) where the fly originated. Small bullheads look and behave a lot like our sculpins. Great fly! and the Rolled Muddler is one of the most popular SRC flies in BC.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
My fishing buddy, Dave, has used them to catch practically every species in the NW switching from dry to heavily weighted in sizes 2 to 12. It is his go to fly for everything.

Randy

" When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee" Isaiah 43:2

·
Registered
41 Posts
This fly is my all-time favorite. I catch more fish on the muddler than any other fly. I also fish upwards of 75-100 days/year. I usually catch a bigger class of fish too (quality not quantity). Bive me a big dark brown muddler with a deer hair head and look out. Rob.

·
Slainte
6,656 Posts
What's the secret???

Man, talk about a confusing pattern, I have never caught a single fish on a muddler. Not that I haven't thrown them a lot, but no ceegar!

What am I missing?...other than fishing because I'm working.

Roper,

Good things come to those who wade...

·
A collector never stops collecting!
4,895 Posts
What's the secret???

I've never had luck using a muddler, and they were one of the first patterns that I used when I got back into flyfishing.

I do have one friend who swears by them though, and has a fly box full of muddler patterns, from a size 2 or 4 to as small as a size 18. I might have to break mine out a little bit in the near future.

Bill

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
The muddler rocks!!

My biggest fly box contains 60% muddlers :thumb :thumb . I do find it takes a certain water to be real effective though, granted they work almost anywhere but certain waters are better for these flies :thumb

~Patrick ><>

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
What's the secret???

Tie them on a size 10 or 8 but leave enough deer hair along the sides with some flotant so they initially float well. I have watched rainbows and cutts smash them dry and then again as they skate just in or under the surface film and then on the retrieve. I watched my buddy land back to back summer steelhead on a chocolate dubbed body size 10 muddler but usually he uses a gold tinsel body. I have landed summer runs on the above and last fall I got one on an all black weighted one in size 8 on the swing above Reiter. Like other flies, the more you fish them the luckier you get. Part of it is confidence and that comes from catching fish and that comes from use.

Randy

" When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee" Isaiah 43:2

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I have a good fishing buddy who uses the muddler as his go-to fly. In skinny waters, he uses a #12 fly. He tells me that the muddler gives him three stages of presentation. #1 is the initial drag-free presentation. Here, it can imitate a caddis. #2 is the downstream skate/swing. He says some trout dig this phase--especially if twitched occasionally. #3 is at the end of the swing, when it hangs like a holding minnow. Of course, some trout like to blind-side the hapless victim at this point. No wonder it rules with those who have mastered all three presentations. I can also see how a muddler variation can score steelheads as well. :thumb

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.