Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Eyes to the sky...
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been volunteering with the NW Youth Conservation and Fly Fishing Academy. I've had a great time taking the kids out on the local water. Last night, I took them to a pretty sweet spot on a small river. We fished for a few hours. The kids were catching smaller fish, but having a blast doing it. We fished until nearly dark, then I figured it was time to head back. We cut our flies and wound all the line in for the bushwhack back to the car. About 3/4 of the way back, I noticed that my 4pc was now a 3 pc. I searched the route to no avail. Every twig and reed looked like a rod tip. I'm not sure if I've ever held in that much profanity in my entire life. The kids even said they couldn't believe that I kept my cool. Fuck fuckity fuck fuck.

:beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead:

(At least it was an Echo. I'll probably have no issue getting a new tip for a few bucks. I'm just pissed about being out a rod for a few days.)

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Sorry to hear that, but good for you showing the control.

·
dirty dog
5,326 Posts
Stuff happens, even to the good guys.
A hassle I know, but the section is replaceable, or a good excuse to buy a new rod.
I have talked to many friends about cleaning up our language to set a better example for others to follow.
Right on for you, until you F bombed us.:thumb:

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Are you having fun? Is it that big a deal? What is your backup plan? Tell me you are not formulating your backup plan NOW instead of before!!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
good job keeping your cool in front of the kids. Loosing or breaking a rod is the worst. At least it happened on the way back.

·
Eyes to the sky...
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry to hear that, but good for you showing the control.
Thanx.

That's what ya get for secretly hitting that flask all day!:rofl:

Really, sorry to hear about that man. Take comfort in knowing it was lost while teaching kids to fly fish...a noble cause.
It was a flask-free evening, what with the young'uns and all...

Stuff happens, even to the good guys.
A hassle I know, but the section is replaceable, or a good excuse to buy a new rod.
I have talked to many friends about cleaning up our language to set a better example for others to follow.
Right on for you, until you F bombed us.:thumb:
I don't mind f-bombing this merry band of miscreants, it's the lads I was holding back for. :rofl:

Are you having fun? Is it that big a deal? What is your backup plan? Tell me you are not formulating your backup plan NOW instead of before!!!
I'm always having fun, Eduardo. Always. The backup plan is to buy a reasonably priced replacement rod section from Echo, assuming I don't find it tonite when I take a different bunch of kids to the same spot on the river.

good job keeping your cool in front of the kids. Loosing or breaking a rod is the worst. At least it happened on the way back.
Indeed. I did manage to get a feisty cutt (8-10") on a dry before we left, the kids all had a great time, and no one was hurt. That's annother one in the win column for sure.:thumb:

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Radish,

I've heard of this happening before - losing one of the four rod pieces while hiking out in the dark. The recommendation is to leave the fly on the leader when you break the rod down and wind the excess line in, keeping all 4 pieces connected by line and leader during the hike in the dark. Not that this information helps now, but for next time. Interesting to hear of this happening twice now; never happened back when we only had 2 piece rods.

Sg

·
Eyes to the sky...
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Radish,

I've heard of this happening before - losing one of the four rod pieces while hiking out in the dark. The recommendation is to leave the fly on the leader when you break the rod down and wind the excess line in, keeping all 4 pieces connected by line and leader during the hike in the dark. Not that this information helps now, but for next time. Interesting to hear of this happening twice now; never happened back when we only had 2 piece rods.

Sg
It's funny you mention that. The exact thought crossed my mind as I was fumbling around in the dark, looking for a graphite needle in a haystack........

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Hey Buddy. Sorry to hear you lost a rod section. Some of those kids have a crapload of flies I tied at the demo. Make them use 'em. Glad to see your able to get there every nite. I haven't been able to wrangle a ride, plus I need to stay close to home in case my wife needs anything.

REE

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
O-Radiculous Maximus Instruct-N-Cuss did you release your new crew today on a square inch by square inch search for a lonely rod section? Well, did ya? And, did they find it? What is the happy ending?

·
It's all about the sauce.....
551 Posts
Damn it Jason! Lost tip, broken tip, and lost tip. Sorry Bud. Have you considered a Tenkara rod?

Happy endings can be found at an asian bath house.

·
Eyes to the sky...
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE:Found it!!!!!!!!

Hey Buddy. Sorry to hear you lost a rod section. Some of those kids have a crapload of flies I tied at the demo. Make them use 'em. Glad to see your able to get there every nite. I haven't been able to wrangle a ride, plus I need to stay close to home in case my wife needs anything.

REE
some of them got into some little guys on your soft hackle. I have dubbed it "Trout Crack".:thumb:

O-Radiculous Maximus Instruct-N-Cuss did you release your new crew today on a square inch by square inch search for a lonely rod section? Well, did ya? And, did they find it? What is the happy ending?
I was hiking in with a fresh batch of campers near where I thought I lost it. I walked to the base of the hill where I thought I might have lost it, and there it was, none the worse for wear. I was one happy camper myself.

Damn it Jason! Lost tip, broken tip, and lost tip. Sorry Bud. Have you considered a Tenkara rod?

Happy endings can be found at an asian bath house.
I'm sure it's fun, but I can't see that happening. I had a funny Asian bath house story happen to me. No marriages were harmed in the making of it, though......

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Oh yes, I knew how this chapter was going to end.

·
Sculpin Enterprises
3,461 Posts
Wahoo!!! That's great news Jason. I lost the tip on my first fly rod, a 4 pc., in exactly the same circumstances (unstrung....) and managed to find it after an anxious hour of careful searching. It would have been easier if the blanks were a bright florescent color.... My most extreme rod recovery occurred when I had a Sage 5wt. get carried away in the current on the Yakima while I was taking pictures of a nice fish at the edge of a mid-river bank. I came back the next day with my dry suit and searched along the edges of that section for two hours, but I finally found it, none the worse for wear.

Congrats and good karma,

Steve

·
It's all about the sauce.....
551 Posts
OUTSTANDING! Congrats my friend. You'll have to tell me that story sometime.......

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.