Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
The thrill is not in the kill---But to let them go.

I did a search and thought that I had found what you were looking for,but when I went back for a second look I found out that I was wrong. For the second time of my life.
:beathead ,:dunno .

Jim

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
My Airflo 7wt has Intermediate, #3 and #6 tips. I think Rio makes one where there are extra tips available.

But I question needing all those tips. In my opinion I would want a #2 or #3 and a #4 or #5. I can't imagine needing them all. Now for lake fishing, I could imagine needing them, but then it would be in full sinking lines.

Rob

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I also have the Airflo with floating and type intermediate, 3 and 6 tips. Also the Rio system. I just can't see needing all the others. For me, that's focusing on to much detail and missing the big picture. As far as which do I prefer? The Airflo is better and in the Spey series, it is a lot cheaper. I don't like how the Rio is connected and will cut off their loops and tie in my own butt section.

Matt

"Everyday that you wake up and decide not to go fishing...is one less day you'll go fishing." Forrest Maxwell

·
Registered
53 Posts
"My opinion and 50 cents wouldn't buy you a half a cup of coffee..."
I think I should start all replies out like that...
Not knowing or claiming to know everything I ask a lot of people the same questions while researching something new. In your case, multiple multi-tips. I don't know, but if ten years ago you told me not to get a #2,#3,#4,#5,#6..., I would have bought them all. The same could be asked to golfers... Do you need every wood, iron, sand wedge, pitching wedge and two putters? To me who plays seldom, the answer would be, "no". The same question asked to me, and we (my wife and I) fish a lot, the answer is still, "no". I think Matt hit it right on the head, and that is focusing on too much detail and missing the big picture. I like to call it the "fun factor", if I am changing lines, tips, and sometimes flies I get upset, because it takes me away from doing what I love, fly fishing. I would say evaluate how much fishing you really do, and what type, and then gear-up accordingly.
Tiger Woods may indeed, have two of everything in that bag, but he doesn't have to buy it, or carry it.

Best of fishing to you-- glen

·
Registered
410 Posts
I like my airflo as well, it casts well, and was affordable. Airflo also makes tips additional to the ones on that line, so if a person really wanted all of the different tips, they could buy them extra, made by airflo.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Great points. I just got a new interchangeable tip Windcutter. It comes with a floating tip, type II, type III, type VI and a type VIII(!). If that isn't enough, it also comes with a "sink-tip compensator" which is a 15 ft type II pre-tip section "for better depth control" (I have yet to find a situation where this provides utility to an otherwise unsolvable problem). I have to say that having this arsenal at hand has not changed the way I fish or the type of water I target. When fishing for winter runs with this system, I still go to the type III 80% of the time with the remainder being split between the type VI and floating sections depending on the water. I have heard many times that fly fishing can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it. I would have to agree.

-Crock

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.