Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Josh Pearson
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little Emma has informed me that she wants to go fishing. It's not going to be flyfishing, but it's a start. I think that she and I will be heading to Wapato Lake (Pierce County) on Saturday. They planted 1000 fish yesterday.

Has anyone taken their kids there? Is it overcrowded?

Josh

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey, your never too young to fish, well maybe two years old is. Check out this link for micro fly rods. Just a suggestion. http://www.jaustinforbes.com/micro.html

Fishing with kids is great, but I hear you have a lot more fun if you look at it like taking kids fishing, not fishing with kids. Until they are about eleven or so, you will spend more time undoing their bird nests and attaching bait/lures, or hopefully flies than you will with your line in the water.

Have fun. Sorry I don't know a thing about wapato lake.

When I was very young I had a blast on the boat docks with a hand line fishing for shiner perch. You could actually see the fish, which made it considerably more interesting. Just a thought

·
Registered
385 Posts
I don't have any recent information on the lake, but I did a lot of fishing there as a kid (25 yrs ago). I do remember loosing my dads rod one day, when I turned my back a fish took the bait and drug the rod right into the water. I know we used to catch fish in there up to 4 lbs. on a rare occasion, our best luck was always from the dock right behind the boathouse (east side of the lake). Have a blast, I'm patiantly awaiting my first outing with my son. Time to build him a flyrod and get him casting in the yard. :smokin

·
Fish Recycler
681 Posts
>Hey, your never too young to fish, well maybe two
>years old is. ...Fishing with kids is great, but I hear >you have a lot more fun if you look at it like taking >kids fishing,not fishing with kids. Until they are about >eleven or so, you will spend more time undoing their >bird nests and attaching bait/lures, or hopefully flies >than you will with your line in the water.

I respectfully but strongly disagree that you should wait to teach your kids to fish - especially until age 11. I was allowed to go fishing with my family until I was three, at which point they gave me a rod (a short river rod it was, a stout devil - but they refused to stoop to the snoopy rod) and I began fishing. My love affair with angling began then and has only grown stronger.

I was home recently, and my mom had dug out some of my stories from when I was in elementary school. Virtually all of them were about, or included, fishing and other outdoor adventures.

Anglers, particularly those who are lifelong devotees to angling, are equally dedicated to the fish, and become great stewards of our environment. We need stewards of our environment right now, and all the better if we are getting more females (you have a daughter, right?) into the mix.

Bravo for your parental dedication to get your young lady on the water, and although it's true that you won't get to do as much fishing (or much at all), I bet the time spent helping her will wind up being just as enjoyable.

Off the soap box, I also recommend taking along some other activities, especially for a real youngster, and for making time for turning over rocks and doing general exploration, breaking up the "boring" time spent minding a pole. Binoculars and a magnifying glass would be two awesome additions to the pack for the day.

Good luck, and kudos to you, dad! :thumb

Teeg

·
Be the guide...
5,190 Posts
Last spring I took my 2yr old fishing in my canoe several times. I think this is one of the better ways to do it. I had 2 lines out (his in a rod holder because he would probably drop it) and we would troll flies around rattlesnake lake for about an hour (all he could really handle).

We had a great time watching all the eagles and ospreys catch fish near us. Then when one of us would get a fish, he would get so excited watching me fight mine or letting me help him real his in. Then I'd let him lightly touch it before sending it back home. Each time he would tell me 'catch another one daddy!!' And he fully expected I would :)

My thoughts on fishing with little kids:
*snacks and drinks
*some kind of toys, crayons and paper, etc to distract them at times
*keep the trip short
*don't expect much - but allow yourself to be suprised when you have a great time

I've also taken my kids (1 yr old and 2.5 year old) fishing at the river. But they just played in the sand while I fished...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I apologize, I must not have been clear in my prior post. I think young kids should be taken fishing, the younger the better. I started at a very young age, and have the fondest memories of fishing. Especially with my grandfather.

I was trying to relate a point that a friend of mine made about taking his young boys fishing. At first he was a little frustrated because he was spending more time dealing with their rods getting them set in the water and wouldn't have any time to get his line in the water. However, once he decided that "fishing with the boys" would be to make sure they were fishing and not try to get his line in the water, he had a much better time. Sort of like being a guide. That was the extent of what I was trying to say. I was using the age eleven as an example of when the two of you could probably fish side by side with equal time fishing.

Absolutely kids should be on the water. I think it is one of the best ways to instill an interest in the environment and a hopefully a lifelong dedication to preserving the natural resources we have.

·
Be the guide...
5,190 Posts
Another note - for us, I found the magic age to be somewhere between 2 and 2.5yrs old. The first few times I took my son (around 18mo), anything and everything he could grab would go right overboard and his attention span\patience for being couped up in a small boat was about 20mins. Then one day it just clicked. He realized we were fishing and how cool that was. He became less restless and knew if he threw one more thing overboard, I'd use him for bait!! Kidding, he just learned that if he didn't throw things over, I would let him play with cool things like my multi-tool, flash light, etc.
I now have a 3yr old, a 17mo old and a 7mo old (all boys). Some would say my fishing days are over. I say they are just beginning :thumb (my wife and I give eachother a few days each month to get a break from the kids and do things like fishg - for me, and shopping for her... As the kids get older, it will be weekend camping and fishing trips - until they get into sports that is...).

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
I took my stepdaughter fishing when she was two; she sat on my lap and caught and landed a 13" rainbow trout on a black wooley bugger. That was a really cool moment for both of us. There was a great article in "The Flyfisher" recently. That is put out by the Federation of Flyfishers in Bozeman, Montana. If you are a member then you already get it each issue.The article was by Brad Befus,
of Ross Reels, and his wife and covered their ways of taking their two very young children fishing. They incorporate other things into the day and keep things light and easy. It's about being together and having fun first, then fishing second. It depends upon the kid's attention span too.Two years old is not too young, as long as you go with the flow. Above all else, have fun. And if you use a boat, make sure you both wear P.F.D.'s that fit properly.

·
Josh Pearson
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dano, I like your thinking!!! those trout would pull her along pretty good.

I had her along with me when I was fishing chums. I would have let her fish then, but the salmon weighed more than she did.

Little Stone, thanks for the idea. I hadn't even thought of bring the flyrod along. I'll throw in the 3 wt and see if she likes it. I guess now is as good time as ever to get her into flyfishing.

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
Never underestimate the power of fun! You do not have to go the way of the worm to get a kid into fishing.It only means having to teach conservation later and maybe they wean off of fish killing and maybe they don't. If you start them off and make it fun with fly fishing, it will last a lifetime.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

Well if I was to go fishing with any two year old child,I would have to be half batty to do so. Being that I'm a grouchy old bast--d. I took a friend with me once on a river close to home and he brought his two boys. 5 and 7, all they did was complain about the deer flies or they would hook the trees behind them or the bottom. And all the time "when are we going home". Whine and carry on was all they seemed to do. So my motto is if you are going with me leave your brats at home. Nice Huh :beathead

Jim

·
Be the guide...
5,190 Posts
Jim - you may sound grouchy - but right on. If someone pulled a stunt like that with me, they may not get invited on the next trip. There are fishing trips and there are family fishing trips. For fisherman like me who are constantly on the move - those types of trips do not end up looking a lot alike. I would always ask first before brining my kids along - and would be cool with it if the answer was 'no'.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

I don't really mind kids.It's just that some don't mind and stop just short of driving you nuts. If kids like to fish then it's a different story. They don't drive you nuts that way.

Jim

·
Registered
24 Posts
I end up guiding a fair number of kids over the course of the season. Some are actually six years old, some are adults that act younger than that. I don't have children of my own, so all parents please realize this opinion comes from that point of view.

Six years old is my own cut-off on what I feel comfortable actually taking on a full trip where they expect to be able to run a fly rod. Even at that we go heavy on the cookies and make sure we look at insects, birds, and occasionaly fish. I make sure the day is about fun and not about performance. With kids it is important that it is a pleasant weather day and a rather short one. I think the biggest pay-off is the look on a child's face when- "I got one! I got one." Children are totally tapped into the electricity of a moving fish on a line.

I also wouldn't say that a 14 year old will necessarily fish better than a 8 year old. I have found the children that could focus and soak up the whole experience had the most success and enjoyed themselves. (Much the same with adults.) Children that wanted a fish on every cast and were bored and quickly were wishing for their Nintendo in the first hour were always disappointed no matter how the fishing was.

Two of my best kids- I had a six-year old girl that listened and fished until she curled up in the front of the boat and slept the last 2 miles of river. By the end of the day she was a maneageble caster and never once became unruly or impolite. ( It was a tougher day of fishing and I wouldn't have held it against her if she would have.) I was so impressed with that type of character in such a young child.

I had a day with a 13 year old boy who was the fastest learner, adult or adolescent, I have ever worked with. After 2 hours of casting and instruction he had a stroke better than a great portion of my adult clients. By the end of his first day ever with a fly rod he was spotting and working his own fish. There was a big 'bow I had been seeing on and off for 3 months working in the head of this pool and none of my guys had stuck him yet. My 13 year old asked me to leave his side so he could do it on his own. I couldn't believe it, but he stuck that toad on his own. I told him that all he really needed to do was lose the guide to he could land some big fish!

If you are going to fish with kids please remember its about you and them spending time together, fishing is a bonus, but really they just want time away with an adult that cares about them.

Ask any angler what some of his fondest memories of youth are, nine times out of ten it is water and a family member.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Josh,
I was at wapato about a month ago sailing my RC sailboat and there were not many folks there. They do not have a lot of dock space and at that time the floats were not accessable. There is trail access all around the lake, and a playground in case the fishing is not good.

Hope this helps

kent

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.