Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught my heaviest 'bow today on a modified woolley bugger. It was about 20 degrees out when I started and ice froze on my guides making it hard to cast. I fished for about an hour with no luck. Then I fished a nice looking run, and bam right after my first twitch with my bugger, the bow slammed it. Took me about 5 minutes to bring him in, measured his length and girth, 18.5 inches, with a 14 inch girth, about 4.3 pounds, man she was a football. I wish I would have had a camera, :ANGRY , Oh well. :LOVEIT

~Ryan

· Registered
418 Posts
Nice work. By the way, never bring the camera. You'll jinx yourself. Fish like that usually get caught without the camera. So, you'll just have to remember it. And everyday you remember it, you'll remember it a little bigger, and yet, a little bigger, and bigger... :BIGSMILE

Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by.
(Sir Izaak Walton)

· previously micro brew
4,660 Posts
Ryan:

Congrats! It's always fun to catch nice fish. If you fish with a partner, switch cameras with them - that way you have picture of yourself.

"There are always greater fish than you have caught, always the lure of greater task and achievement, always the inspiration to seek, to endure, to find."
Zane Grey

· Registered
88 Posts
Hey, have you ever tried putting a little vasaline on your guides to keep them from freezing? It seems to work pretty well. There are also products specifically for this purpose and they might work better.

Congrats on the fish!

· previously micro brew
4,660 Posts
No Vaseline for me. I switch from floating to sink-tip / sinking lines. No sure I want to contaminate lines / leaders with Vaseline. I find it just as easy to put the rod in the water and swish it around a couple of times.

· Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually I tried that yesterday. I didn't work as well as I had expected. The ice stayed on my guides, probably because the water temp was somewhere around 32-34 degrees, so the ice didn't melt. I have been thinking about buying a product that acts as a deicer. Can anyone recommend one?

Thanks,
Ryan

· Driven by irrational exuberance.
1,584 Posts
When it was so cold on the Klickitat Saturday, swishing the tip around in the water just made the guide icing worse. I had a new tub of "Stanley Anti-Ice Paste". I wasn't able to perform a side by side comparison to test the effectiveness of the stuff, but it wasn't enough to handle those conditions. It seems like my sink tip was floating, and I don't know if that was because the line got coated with anit-ice paste or coated with ice. It was 21F at the Dalles, but it must have been much colder up the river, since little clumps of ice were forming in the moving water. Skating flies were not attempted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.