Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I tied a little tonight. The top three..... not sure what they are called but I used something like it when I went fly fishing two weeks ago. They are not the same but kinda.

The bottom fly is cool. It is a play on the wolly bugger.

Any feedback would be great. I have NO clue what I am doing but I am having a hell of a lot of fun!

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
The bottom fly is cool. It is a play on the wolly bugger.

Any feedback would be great. I have NO clue what I am doing but I am having a hell of a lot of fun![/QUOTE] What size are they? Could be used the same as wooly buggers and if they're big eniugh they could be chum flies. The important thing to all of it is the Quote " I am having a hell of alot of fun!" That's what it's all about. Good start keep going. If you aren't tying a pattern you're inventing your own.
What's more fun is catching fish on your own fly.

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Chef, the top three are cool. I like the lower one too, but I'd suggest you wrap your hackle so that it flares either straght out or toward the rear. It appears you have yours wrapped so it flares or points forward. Keep tying while in Vegas, it is better than losing your shirt at the slots or card tables. Flies in the flybox is better than funding the city of lights.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
If you look at a hackle, there is a curvature to it. They also have a dull and shiny side. When you tie, lay the feather on the shank curved side down (dull side) and then tie it down. When you wrap it, the curves will be to the rear. To answer your other question there are some flies that are tied front to back but not many. Most flies begin at the rear so you wind up at the front with , hopefully, a nice clean, small head of thread that can be covered with glue, head cement, or epoxy, depending on the application. You build the flie according to the recipe back to front, making sure that the top materials of the fly go on first so when you wrap them forward, they wind up on top. I'd suggest you get some videos or watch some You-tube videos to help explain the procedures. They help a lot and you can tie some pretty nice flies from them.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Take a look at the Nyerges nymph pattern. It is a simple fly to tie and very productive. There is a web page where Gil tells how he discovered it and where and when it should work.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The hackle on the bottom fly you tied is "palmered", meaning its tied in at the hook bend and tied forward with space between wraps. You tied the hackle in at the butt of the feather; not the tip. On a standard dry hackle tie, the butt is tied in. In a palmered tie, the tip is tied in. It helps to run your fingers down the spine of the hackle and spread the fibers so they don't over-wrap on themselves before you tie in the hackle.

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
Congrats, Chef . . . as you go, you'll learn. Your creations look far better than my early attempts. As my Sainted Father told me years ago ('56, to be exact): "There are two kinds of flies . . . those that catch fish, and those that catch fisherman. As long as you can tie the first type, don't worry about the second type." Experiment, research, ask questions, practice, catch fish, and refine as you see fit. For what it's worth . . . in some 50+ years of wrapping stuff around hooks, I ain't ever tied a hackle in by the tip . . . but I somehow still manage to catch fish. Must be that "catch fisherman" thing. Enjoy and welcome to the addiction. Oh, and the Fly Tyers Anonymous meetings have been moved to the 29th day of February during Leap Years, unless it's either cloudy or clear . . . in which case you should a) tie, or b) go fishing . . .

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
A great way to learn tying is: Go to YOUTUBE and search for the fly you want to tie.. You'll receive step by step direction from the experts on that particular fly. I wished they had had YOUTUBE 40 years ago when I started tying. I learned by trial and error and visiting with a few friends who also tied flies. Your flies look very good for a beginner. Good job.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.