Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
my first king

Curious as to how the fight was?? I caught two on the clearwater two weekends ago but have not got pictures developed yet. The fight was more of a "trying to save my fly line" run than anything. They were extremely difficult to move at all and when they wanted to leave my area, the left with no hesitation. Although mine had more of a hump in the middle of their back so I am not quite sure what they really were?? Nice fish though :THUMBSUP :THUMBSUP

~Patrick

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ok, I guess I'm going to have to play the bad guy again.

It's good to see that you were able to get a big king on a fly, and congrats on your first one, but that fish probably should have been left alone. Those egges that got all over your waders, were meant to go in the gravel, and since it was caught during or very near spanwing and lost a good portion of it's eggs, it's not going to be able to spawn successfuly. Most of the fish in this state need to be left alone, so they can properly spawn.

I'm not trying to discourage you from posting or anything, but my main concern is that it's setting a bed example to others on the board. Judging by the responses, most seem to think this is an ok thing to do, which will only hurt the already bed rep salmon flyfishing has. I know your intentions were good and you probably were not trying to target spawning fish, so don't take my post the wrong way. I'm only trying to help those that are new to salmon fly fishing and may not understand the whole spawning thing.

dlw

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.