Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of very handsome fish!

Is the second one is a half pounder as it is fairly small (by steelhead standards), looks clipped and seems to be in spawning colors?

What types of flys did you take them on and what river (just the name is fine, to protect an obviously great spot)

Scott :THUMBSUP

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Thanks, you guys are great. The second pic is 1 of the Sea Run Cutthrouts I caught, incredible fighters for their size. I thought it was a baby steelhead til I located the red slash on the neck. Use a #12 beadhead crystal olive woolybugger and same rig/technique below to catch these 12-20" fish all-day-long, No Lie!
Flies I use for Steelies is one I stuck with religously for this time of year: #10 Rubber Legged Black Stonefly Nymph > 3' floro tippet > 5' Max.UGreen tapered leader all attached to a 10' TypeIV DDickson sink tip I purchased day before! Experts tell me to strip the line in fast when the line is parallel to your body after the swing. That didn't work, too many snags on rocks,etc. so I slowly stripped in early around 11-12 O'clock so the S.Tip wouldn't touch bottom...BLAM! 4 hookups adjusting to this technique. I'm sure the Floro helped alot too. Water was low and clear and moderate speed. I've finally realized having multi sinktips are MANDATORY when going for Steelies. Somewhat pricey but worth every penny!
Now I can be part of the "Steelie on a fly been-there-done-that Club" Hehehe Thanks again guys for your support!
PS, name of the river is... The Moooits River. Hummm, what could it be?
PSS, Steelhead are..."The Fish of A Thousand Casts" . For me it was 1200 casts.

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men"
Matthew 4:19

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I WILL FOLLOW YOU :LOVEIT !!!

Beautiful fish. Extremely jealous. I added another 12 hours to my already hundreds of hours towards these fish over the weekend with no prevail.

I to give all glory to God but I think I made him mad because he will
not give me a steelhead :DUNNO

Congrats bud,

~Patrick

·
Idaho Resident Craftsman/Artisan
1,098 Posts
SkyCries57,

SWWWEEEEET! That is so cool. I haven't fished for steelies much but I tell ya, when I catch one on a fly I will post a cool pic too. Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good job!!!!!!!!

MacRowdy

·
Driven by irrational exuberance.
1,584 Posts
The give-away that the second picture is a cutthroat is the size of the mouth. See how the maxillary, the upper jaw reaches way behind the eye. The red throat slashes (red dash on dentary, or hyoid marks) are less reliable. In real bright SRC, the red throat slashes will be slight, maybe just a touch of yellow. In dead or preserved fish, the slashes fade. And as noted in this forum, some inland populations of Rainbows show some of the red slash on the throat, resulting in too many being called cutbows (in my opinion).

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
My First REAL Steelhead on a Fly!!! Luke 5 Day

Here is the link to where I got DDickson's Sink Tip.

http://www.streamsideflyshop.com/flylines.htm

I'm sure ANY quality sink tip would work wether it be DD,RIO,AIRFLOW,etc. The DDTip works great but I'm not too fond of the homemade braided loop. I bought a RIO Type3 today and the braid looks very well built. Will see how it performs on Thurs and Sat. I now have 3 Types of Sinktips which I think is the minimum and very crtical when going for Steelhead, due to Steelhead lie in various types of holding water; depth,speed,etc.
Sinktip Types: 3(3ips), 4(4-5ips), 5(5-6ips) These are critical in my opinion.
The most important factor I realized is knowing the SOFT TAKE. When you feel a SOFT RESISTANCE, you have a 50/50 chance of it being a fish or snag, assume it is a fish and SET THE HOOK!
Take it from me, it takes lots of practice and knowing what to feel for. I learned the majority of Steelhead will not BLAST a fly and Rocket off like we want it to. The majority will take the fly SOFT and then when you SET THE HOOK, thats when the fun begins!

Be patient and remember that Steelhead are without a doubt...
"The fish of a thousand casts"

Good luck to all!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
What can I say, words cannot describe, I'm still shaking. 20 minutes of raw power and 4 spectacular airbourne leaps came out of this 30" Buck.
What a great day, not only 1 but 3 Steelhead beached and 5 12"+ cutthrout all day!

I give ALL glory to God!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.