Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Yarn ball egg pattern under an indicator on a pre Shimano G. Loomis 9.5ft 7wt rod and a Ross rapid.
Some assholes will say it didn't count because you didn't get it on the swing(I'm not one of THEM). Don't listen to them, they're just jealous:)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Congratulations. I believe that is a wild fish being held out of the water. Hopefully the game warden will come and
congratulate you as well.
There are polite ways to handle/teach things and then there are the other way....

What redlodge is saying is that Washington has regulations about it being illegal to remove wild steelhead from the water. FYI for the next one you catch. Congrats on your first one.

Strictly from a personal opinion/quirk but I've always taken my gloves off when handling fish. It keeps the slime off them and I figure that your bare hands will remove less slime from the fish than wool gloves might. I think I've read a scientific paper that prompted that idea but I can't recall.

Now go get another one!

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Just call it an Oregon fish; that's what we should all be doing anyway. We should even rename this subforum: Steelhead (Oregon). Maybe a mod can run a script changing every instance of "OP" to "Oregon Coast."

Nice fish.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Congratulations. I believe that is a wild fish being held out of the water. Hopefully the game warden will come and
congratulate you as well.
How about a little discretion. What I see is a fish that was netted, unhooked and momentarily removed from the water for a quick picture. By the book, no, but since the picture he provided doesn't portray the whole story, save this type of remark for the asshole who has clearly mishandled a fish.

To the OP, congrats on the fish! I remember my first, a big native buck on the Sauk. No picture to remember it by. Hell, the beautiful piece of water I caught him in doesn't even exist anymore. But the memory ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
I think the "keep em wet- in the water" rule in WA State had it's origins for two main reasons. Less time in the release-dragging onto shore etc.. the fish gets back into the water, but as important, boat anglers-and specifically more to guided boats, who upon catching fish, wrestled them to the guided fisherman, who wrestled them for a series of pics.. and between suffocation, de-sliming and dropping on oars, boat edges, hard boat flooring, the fish suffered a higher chance of mortal injury.

The fish shown here had a few inches to fall into the water, so not by the letter of the law, but pretty low on the reason for the law.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.