Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a guided trip last week on the Yakima river through one of the well established guide services. I had a great time landing four fish on dry skwalas, and had several more nymphing including my first white fish. I had a really good sized fish take my skwala and then roll into my line setting himself free. It would have been picture worthy...but so it goes. I learned a lot fishing that day. Number one was that I wasn't a very accurate caster. I have more of a 3/4 cast that is somewheres between sidearm and not sidearm, which is fine in lakes, but not when your drifting trying to place a fly right behind a rock, tight to the shore, with an overhanging tree quickly approaching. Second thing I learned was to mend, mend,mend, mend,mend, mend,mend, mend...and then to mend some more to get a good drift. The third thing that the trip exposed was that I've been a pretty whimpy hook setter. I only landed about 25% of the fish that actually had risen to take my fly. What a day. I got quite frustrated at times, and I could tell the guide was frustrated at my lack of ability at times. By the end of the day though I had made some huge steps in reading water and improving my casting. I can't wait to get back out there again soon. Thanks to the Evening Hatch for the tutorial and the fishing!

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Great report. I'd say that another guide just about went hoarse telling someone typing this message as he had to calmly repeat mend mend mend mend mend mend mend and set it set it set it set it set it. I'm better today because of his patience with me and willingness to keep coaching. Thanks Derek. Great read, thank you for sharing your experience.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
When I fished with Brian Paige on a trip my wife won he would put her about 15' from the seam he wanted her to fish. When she took breaks and I was fishing it seemed that he put me 40' or more away from the spot to hit. He worked his ass of rowing us and putting us on fish all day long and made me make casts that were very precise. I'm going to give him full credit for doing this on purpose and in doing so as a method of advancing my casting capabilities. I will forever be thankful for him doing this, it totally altered how I visualize, practice and actually make casts. Very different in that drift boat compared to a beach or on a lake in the float tube. Here is to all the guides that make us better even when we don't know they are doing it. Thanks Brian.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.